Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic DEG Signature flugel by Modl, Holton-esque design (Read 326 times)
CDFhorn
Section Leader

European blue felt or
Conn barrel-spring pistons

DEG Signature flugel by Modl, Holton-esque design
Oct 11th, 2019 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Donald-E-Getzen-Signature-Flugelhorn-Ser-191-Plays-Well...

Identical to Modl flugels [not too common, but there is one on HUC, ID 9793] which themselves are based on the old Holtons with S-leadpipe

IP Logged

WrongBrothers
Sitting In

Trumpets, trombones and
tubas . . . oh my!

Re: DEG Signature flugel by Modl, Holton-esque design
Reply #1 - Oct 30th, 2019 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
Interesting, I just looked through the flugels in the catalog here looking for the same design.  My friend got a very beat-up Grenadier flugel that uses the exact same wrap and first valve trigger design, which seems to me to be a relatively crappy import (though I didn't see a country of origin stamp so that's up for debate).  The most similar design I saw to this was the Holton F100/F400, which used a very similar wrap with a proper first slide trigger linkage.  I don't know how this and the Holton line up chronologically, but I interpreted these as a cheap copy of the Holton, and Getzen was known to import instruments (looking at you Anborg compensating horns...).  I would attach the crappy photos I got of the Grenadier, but with the hassle it takes I'll probably wait until I get proper photos.  Despite the massive dent in the bell tail it played surprisingly tolerably, and valve compression was much better than I expected from such a cheap-looking instrument.

IP Logged

CDFhorn
Section Leader

European blue felt or
Conn barrel-spring pistons

Re: DEG Signature flugel by Modl, Holton-esque design
Reply #2 - Nov 2nd, 2019 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
Neat!  It might be easier to upload the photos to a folder on Google Drive, make it link-shareable ["Anyone with link can view"], then put the link here.  If there's a serial, it'll make it easier to see what series it falls into, and seeing the pistons would also help with determining the maker.  I'd guess it's a Modl horn like this, but that's just my shot in the dark...

WrongBrothers wrote on Oct 30th, 2019 at 7:50pm:
Interesting, I just looked through the flugels in the catalog here looking for the same design.  My friend got a very beat-up Grenadier flugel that uses the exact same wrap and first valve trigger design, which seems to me to be a relatively crappy import (though I didn't see a country of origin stamp so that's up for debate).  The most similar design I saw to this was the Holton F100/F400, which used a very similar wrap with a proper first slide trigger linkage.  I don't know how this and the Holton line up chronologically, but I interpreted these as a cheap copy of the Holton, and Getzen was known to import instruments (looking at you Anborg compensating horns...).  I would attach the crappy photos I got of the Grenadier, but with the hassle it takes I'll probably wait until I get proper photos.  Despite the massive dent in the bell tail it played surprisingly tolerably, and valve compression was much better than I expected from such a cheap-looking instrument.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint