Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Carl Fischer NY Shepherd's Crook cornet (Read 108 times)
GDFischer
Sitting In

Trumpets, trombones and
tubas . . . oh my!

Carl Fischer NY Shepherd's Crook cornet
Nov 1st, 2018 at 10:14pm
Print Post  
This predates 1920.  Provenance shows purchase as second hand in 1920 through York & Sons in Grand Rapids MI.

Stamped "Carl Fischer New York". Serial number 279XX.  Silver plated high & low tone.  Horn has been cleaned of tarnish, valves and slides are functioning.  Wishbone spit valve appears to seal completely though cork on one side has lost some pieces.  It does play.  Ok, I'm a woodwind player but did get some harmonics tones out.  Not too bad if I say so myself.  Wink  It has minor ding dents & a dent on outside flare edge of bell (slightly flat spot).

Am hoping to date this cornet & get an approximate value.  If the link works, have included access to a photo.  With the help of a friend in MCBB, have learned a lot about this style horn in the last day.

I appreciate any & all input, but preferably constructive.  No, am not selling.   Roll Eyes

Gayle
« Last Edit: Nov 3rd, 2018 at 3:34am by GDFischer »  

IP Logged

GDFischer
Sitting In

Trumpets, trombones and
tubas . . . oh my!

Re: Carl Fischer NY Shepherd's Crook cornet
Reply #1 - Nov 1st, 2018 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
https://photos.app.goo.gl/GD1NwrCEk4GDYw7r8

Here's the photo link.  Was prevented from adding in original message.

Gayle

IP Logged

Yankee
Sideman
repair

Enchanted by brass

Reply #2 - Nov 6th, 2018 at 2:56pm
Print Post  
I had a Carl Fischer just like that one. Mine was made by Bohland & Fuchs of Austria and yours may have a #2 on the middle valve below the valve numbers. Fischer used them for many imports.

IP Logged

GDFischer
Sitting In

Trumpets, trombones and
tubas . . . oh my!

Reply #3 - Nov 13th, 2018 at 11:23pm
Print Post  
No #2.  There's a Y under the number on the valve, right side, an N on the left.  Found another website of a man that collects antique cornets and he had a catalog listing showing this was a soloist/professional CF cornet.  Based on the methods book that came with it, I believe the original date of the horn is around 1911.  Thanks for the manufacturer info.  That was one piece of information we didn't have.

Regards,
Gayle

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint