Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Waterloo Champion Bugle (Read 135 times)
Number42
Sitting In

Trumpets, trombones and
tubas . . . oh my!

Waterloo Champion Bugle
Jan 27th, 2018 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
I recently purchased this bugle off Kijiji, I bought it from a man who stated that it belonged to his father, who played it in the army. Apparently, it had been sitting in a closet for the past 30 years, the valves still moved and it was in excellent condition. It came with two mouthpieces of unmarked size, but the MP receiver is the same as a trumpet.

I have attempted to do some research and found a similar Waterloo Champion bugle on this site, but with no information and it was slightly different.

As far as I can determine it is a G-D Soprano Bugle with a rotor that lowers the pitch by a half step. I would like to learn some of the history behind it, this forum seemed like the perfect place to try and find someone who knows something about the instrument. I would greatly appreciate any information regarding this instrument.

(I am having trouble posting images, I will attempt to put them in a reply to this post)

IP Logged

Number42
Sitting In

Trumpets, trombones and
tubas . . . oh my!

Re: Waterloo Champion Bugle
Reply #1 - Jan 27th, 2018 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
Here are the images

IP Logged

kenton
YaBB Administrator

Reply #2 - Jan 29th, 2018 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
We are not ignoring you, but have no further information on the Waterloo Champion Brand. 

My impression is that this type of bugle was popular in the 1960's and 70's.  So, I'd expect that this horn dates to that time period.

IP Logged

Number42
Sitting In

Trumpets, trombones and
tubas . . . oh my!

Reply #3 - Jan 30th, 2018 at 2:17am
Print Post  
Thanks, kenton. It was worth a shot anyway, maybe someone else on this site will know something about it. Or I will go on in ignorant bliss with a really cool horn, either way, I'm happy. I was just hoping to learn some more about it.

IP Logged

kenton
YaBB Administrator

Reply #4 - Jan 30th, 2018 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
Yeah, you never know who is going to know something or find something on a particular topic and add is to the site.  That is, in fact, how much of this site has been developed.

IP Logged

Yankee
Sideman
repair

Enchanted by brass

Reply #5 - Feb 10th, 2018 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
The closest possibility that I have found is that this is a stencil horn made for the five-time world champion drum and bugle corps from Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario, Canada that started in 1972 and ended in 1995. Look up Ventures Winter Guard in a search to find out more.
It would have to have been a large group to spend the funds to have them specially marked for their corps.

There was a Whaley, Royce & Co in Toronto that started making valved bugles in the late 1960s so it's possible they were the actual makers. You would have to find bugles by that maker and compare them.

The other possibility is the state champion Waterloo Chevaliers from Iowa but that's doubtful as they were just a high school corps and hardly likely to have had their own instruments made.

IP Logged

kenton
YaBB Administrator

Reply #6 - Feb 10th, 2018 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
Well, here are the
Whaley-Royce Bugles
we have found.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint