Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic DABICO RR DAUGHERTY Dayton Ohio Compensation Horn (Read 244 times)
FearLess
Sideman

Be Dedicated - Be Fearless!

DABICO RR DAUGHERTY Dayton Ohio Compensation Horn
May 12th, 2017 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
Well, I just took delivery of a student model compensating horn from the DABICO RR DAUGHERTY Dayton Ohio company. The thumb trigger gas 3 positions!??? It's soaking in a bathtub of warm soapy water right now so I won't get to playing it for a couple of days to experiment with the 3 positions. Does anyone know how that works? I'm guessing it may play in F/Eb and Bb? The seller said it was from the 50's and has been sitting in storage for 20 years. Everything moves and nothing was stuck so I may have a a cool old horn to mess around with. Any help would be appreciated!

IP Logged

kenton
YaBB Administrator

Re: DABICO RR DAUGHERTY Dayton Ohio Compensation Horn
Reply #1 - May 13th, 2017 at 3:27am
Print Post  
We don't have any pictures of their horns.  Would like to see what it looks like.  If you care to send pictures to Kenton@horn-u-copia.net, I'll make a composite and post it.

IP Logged

FearLess
Sideman

Be Dedicated - Be Fearless!

Reply #2 - May 13th, 2017 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
Sent 4 pictures this morning after I assembled it. Oiled and greased it up and it plays very well. Just pulled the rotors and they are clean. Going to soak the body again to try and get more of the musty smell out. Use white vinegar on the rotors and rotor casing to get any smell out. It looks like it was re-lacquered, poorly. There are drip marks on it. It has some minor corrosion on the bell, not sure what to do with that. Maybe rub the corrosion off and put a little lacquer on it to seal it?   
Glad I could add this somewhat unknown instrument to the archive. I keep looking for stuff like this.

IP Logged

kenton
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - May 13th, 2017 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
This is a DABICO Bb/F Compensating French Horn

DABICO | RR Dougherty | Dayton Ohio

Multiple settings for the thumb is to have it stand in F or Bb (Confirmed) and to raise and lower the height of the trigger to accommodate smaller hands.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint