Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Cornet Piston no 2760 from Edmund Paulus (Read 553 times)
Henrik
Sitting In

Trumpets, trombones and
tubas . . . oh my!

Cornet Piston no 2760 from Edmund Paulus
Nov 18th, 2016 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
Hi, I have this horn from Edmund Paulus,. Possibly the model no 2760 from the catalogue that is linked to on the horn-u-copia link site. I would like some advise on what to do with it to make in a playable condition.
Also can somebody tell me what it is worth and whatever else you are able to tell me - age - history - type of instrument. I have no experience with horns but i have started learning a 4 note Scala - - - Smiley but it's difficult since the waves get stuck all the time - - -

First of all - should an old instrument like this be polished or should it be left with the years of patina that have been build up on it. I imagine it can be very beautyfull if I polish it all over, or I could just polish the silver parts and leave the brass parts with patina.

The horn had some very nasty dents that reduced the diameter substantielly. I have repaired the dents by dragging plastic or wooden pearls of different size trough the tubes. I believe I have reached a level where the performance of the horn is not affected anymore.

I haven't yet succeeded removing the two small "slides" (dont know what they are called in English language). Does anyone have an idea to how they can be removed. I have tried a shoe lace tied to the tube and then hammering on the lace, penetrating oil, heating up and cooling down the tubes to make them expand/contract etc. - of course I' afraid to damage something so I have been very gently - - any ideas or should I just leave it as is.

The rotary waves properly need some oiling to move smoother. Since I can't remove the slides I guess I can grease all the waves trough either the side where the mouthpiece is connected or the other end, and then massaging each wave while applying some thin piston oil.

Here is some pictures - tell me what you think.

IP Logged

KimC
Major Contributor
repair

Re: Cornet Piston no 2760 from Edmund Paulus
Reply #1 - Nov 19th, 2016 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
You will not get a price estimate from me... The advantages of tht horn is tht it has adjustable clock springs, that is a plus. On the negaitve side are the dents.
If you want to play that horn in any serious way, the slides should work, and the valves should be cleaned.
Mind you that rotor valves should not be oiled on the rotor itself, and any attempt to add lubricant trough the pipes will probably just draw dirt in the rotor. They are probably full of dirt already.
Rotor valves are not that easy to remove, and they should not be removed every now and then. But I have seen plenty of horns that had not been in use for a long time, and never one that was really clean inside.

If you don't know how to disassemble a rotor valve (and not least assemble it again!), we should see that such a guide is made here on HUC. Unfortunately it takes a few tools.

IP Logged

kevin
Senior Contributor
repair

Lip actuated aerophones

Re: Cornet Piston no 2760 from Edmund Paulus
Reply #2 - Nov 28th, 2016 at 1:38am
Print Post  
It's best to be careful with these old horns. The Edmund Paulus were made between 1866 and 1899. They were bought out by A.Sprinz in '99. All this is in the New Langwill, if you have access to a copy. The Paulus line and Sprinz were considered good quality horns.

Anyway, if you haven't handled these old teutonic horns before, There are many things to watch out for. The tubing is almost always on the thin side and in many cases the temper has gone out of them. most of them have been worked on many times over the years. They can be fragile.
If a person has the skills and experience, the crooks can be removed and the slides cleaned up and it is essential to do that if the intention is to have a functional horn. If you want to take on repairs like that, I recommend purchasing or scrounging something 10 or 15 years old and practicing on "it". Leave the old Paulus until you have a feel for the business.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint