Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Jan Mestan, Praha (Read 1122 times)
CDFhorn

European blue felt or
Conn barrel-spring pistons

Jan Mestan, Praha
Jul 13th, 2016 at 11:34pm
Print Post  
Some Prague maker or distributor...other than the Amati mouthpiece and valves/caps that look like B&F, no idea...

IP Logged

kevin
Senior Contributor
repair

Lip actuated aerophones

Re: Jan Mestan, Praha
Reply #1 - Aug 30th, 2016 at 5:44am
Print Post  
http://www.horn-u-copia.net/display.php?sortby=&starton=0&selby=+where+maker%3D%...

The link should work. It's in the catalog, here. An image of my Jan Mestan trumpet. Super light construction. Also a mouthpiece with "Jan Mestan Praha" stamped on it. The taper is correct for the horn.  The Mestan piece is a bit of a screamer with a small throat. I find it plays well with a modern Bach style taper which seems to open the horn up a little.

It's a great playing horn with a well made valve block. The plating has survived

In the case was an embroidered velvet cloth with "Jan Mestan,
Praha, Lizkov" sewn on it. Lizkov was the  bohemian, left wing, artist, activist community in Prague for many years before WWII. Mestan is an old Prague family name, means "mustang".

Based on the  modus operandi of the Czech companies, I'd say Mestan was a dealer. Most production in the country at that time was in the hands of cooperatives and independent suppliers. After '45 they were forced to amalgamate just to survive.

IP Logged

CDFhorn

European blue felt or
Conn barrel-spring pistons

Reply #2 - Oct 7th, 2016 at 2:07am
Print Post  
Thanks Kevin - cool info!  Yes, I've seen many mill horns but this seems to be higher-end (and some of the parts look like the ones on the pro horns exported to England and such; this might have B&F parts like so many others?).  I'd try it but this isn't in the budget and I don't really want to collect these...

IP Logged

kevin
Senior Contributor
repair

Lip actuated aerophones

Reply #3 - Oct 18th, 2016 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
You are welcome, here's a pic of the needle worked velvet cover.https://www.dropbox.com/sc/urvir43imy2iapl/AAADWLHsy6HfCJIeyT4Q6sAHa

I acquired this instrument for a couple of reasons, and the nifty cover was one of them. Very nicely done in a silver thread on the blue velvet.
The instrument is in great shape other than the missing silver plate, a sign that it was played extensively. The case is in great shape and then there was the also the little bit different route of the tubes. I found it on the German eBay a few years ago.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint