Normal Topic Hello (Read 584 times)
char21401
Sitting In

Trumpets, trombones and
tubas . . . oh my!

Hello
Apr 28th, 2016 at 1:39pm
Print Post  
I am not a brass player. My late husband was a member of the First Army Band during the 50s. Upon his passing 6 yrs ago, I kind of "inherited" all his brass instruments as his children did not want them.

There were 3 trombones, which was his instrument, and 1 trumpet and 1 cornet...at least I think it's a cornet. As I said, I am not a brass player so I don't know the finer points of differentiation.
That said, here is what I have:

The cornet is a Holton Coutourier model New Proportion 3 valve. on the 2nd valve on the back is either an "O" or a "0" and a SN 16763. In the months before he passed he had this refurbed and it is very playable with a nice sound according to a friend who is a cornet/trumpet player in a local British Brass Band here in MD.

The trumpet is an Olds Ambassador, SN 800106

The trombones are;
1)Alexander 2476
2)Selmer Signet Special...no SN evident
3)King 2B Liberty, SN 230940

All these instruments are in original cases.

I am interested in knowing a little more abt what I have, including perhaps approximate values if known.

Thanks in advance.
Kind regards,
Charlotte

IP Logged

pryorphone
Global Moderator
repair

Oboes are best used for
setting fire to bassoons

Re: Hello
Reply #1 - Apr 28th, 2016 at 5:29pm
Print Post  
char21401 wrote on Apr 28th, 2016 at 1:39pm:
The cornet is a Holton Coutourier model New Proportion 3 valve. on the 2nd valve on the back is either an "O" or a "0" and a SN 16763

Charlotte,
The "Courturier Model" Holton is, in fact, a cornet that was made in 1912 according to our reference.  Ernst Couturier was a popular soloist of the time who endorsed Frank Holton's cornets.  The "0" is a zero, which means standard bore.
As far as value, you can look at the auction sites for what similar horns have sold for to get a very good idea of the going rate for any of these horns (including the trumpet and trombones).  I do see Couturier Models offered from time to time. 
That particular model seems to have been built from 1909-1915

Michael Keller
unPrincipaled Tuba Emeritus
The Delaware Symphony Orchestra

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint