Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Hi from England (Read 4699 times)
Griff
Sitting In

Tuba's, Tenor Horn's,
and Cornet's...

Hi from England
May 1st, 2015 at 5:47am
Print Post  
I started playing the Tuba at, the age of 14, an old Hawkes and Son. My parents bought me a new Besson 700 (Made by Boosey and Hawkes) on early 1989. While at University I bought a second-hand La Fleur (Boosey and Hawkes import) Tenor Horn. About 2 years ago I bought a 1979 Boosey and Hawkes Regent Cornet.

I started collecting instruments about a year ago.

I deny this reality.

IP Logged

kenton
YaBB Administrator

Re: Hi from England
Reply #1 - May 1st, 2015 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
Yep, sounds like you've got the bug!

IP Logged

Griff
Sitting In

Tuba's, Tenor Horn's,
and Cornet's...

Reply #2 - May 3rd, 2015 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
Well that's when it started.

I played in a marching band, and decided to buy a second Tuba. After realising just how much one could be. I ended up buying a 1889 Boosey and Co BBb Light Valve Instrument, which had been found in a house clearence. 3 months, later I bought a 1919 Boosey and Co Eb Solbron Tuba, which had been found (a bit battered, and incomplete) in a skip outside a School. After finding out about Joseph Higham's instruments, 2 months ago I bought a c1886 Bb Higham's Tuba (400 mile round trip for it's collection). This had belonged to a person called Pete, who had recently died at the age of 100. He had bought the instrument before World War II, and it is still at High Tone pitch. All three of them are playing again, all have done public performances, but the 1919 Solbron Tuba is currently away having some repair work carried out on it before taking part in Whit Friday at the end of the month.

I deny this reality.

IP Logged

Griff
Sitting In

Tuba's, Tenor Horn's,
and Cornet's...

Reply #3 - May 3rd, 2015 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
Back in November I bought a Hawkes and Son Tenor Horn. This had been an instrument with issues, but hopefully a change of Valve caps, now should get it playing properly. Also plan to remove the extra tubing and having it playing in High Tone again. Bought a  A. Hall Gisborne Tenor Horn about a month ago. Both probably date from before World War I.

Just bought J Higham's Cornet, manufactured in the 1890's, complete with original case.

I deny this reality.

IP Logged

kenton
YaBB Administrator

Reply #4 - May 4th, 2015 at 3:40am
Print Post  
OK, what is a skip?

And, you are playing in high pitch bands?  Are there many of those in your area?

IP Logged

Griff
Sitting In

Tuba's, Tenor Horn's,
and Cornet's...

Reply #5 - May 4th, 2015 at 7:14am
Print Post  
A skip is an industrial sized open top container for rubbish.

Boosey and Hawkes, and The Salvation Army were the last to produce High Tone instruments back in 1963. As far as I'm aware there are no bands left playing at hightone. I am very involved with my local Concert band, and we also have a small brass ensamble. Would be nice to create a 4/5 part hight tone Brass group on period instruments.

I deny this reality.

IP Logged

kenton
YaBB Administrator

Reply #6 - May 4th, 2015 at 11:54am
Print Post  
Griff wrote on May 4th, 2015 at 7:14am:
A skip is an industrial sized open top container for rubbish.

Thanks.  We call them "dumpsters" here.  I hadn't heard "skip" before. 
Quote:
Boosey and Hawkes, and The Salvation Army were the last to produce High Tone instruments back in 1963. As far as I'm aware there are no bands left playing at hightone. I am very involved with my local Concert band, and we also have a small brass ensamble. Would be nice to create a 4/5 part hight tone Brass group on period instruments.

Sorry, I mis-interpreted your comment about putting the tenor horn back in high pitch.  I assumed that you were putting back in its original pitch, that you had a ensemble in which to use it.

In this country, the Civil War Bands (I play in one) do play in high pitch period instruments. 

IP Logged

Griff
Sitting In

Tuba's, Tenor Horn's,
and Cornet's...

Reply #7 - May 4th, 2015 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
Do you get much interest in the Civil War Bands. I expect it's re-enactments, and things like that.

Been thinking about a similar thing with a Victorian Band feel. The first Bands, Including Black d**e used Higham's instruments in 1854. The were certainly the leading maker in the UK, till Boosey and Besson took over. Using old photographs would be easy to decide on a uniform, go out and play at Victorian Christmas fairs.

I deny this reality.

IP Logged

kenton
YaBB Administrator

Reply #8 - May 5th, 2015 at 1:44am
Print Post  
On our WEBsite (Wildcat Band, we keep a page of links to other Civil War Band.  There are more out there, but these are the ones that have been around for a while.  (in other words, I should update it, but haven't gotten to it.)

IP Logged

Griff
Sitting In

Tuba's, Tenor Horn's,
and Cornet's...

Reply #9 - May 5th, 2015 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
WOW - Popular in the US then. Maybe were missing something over here then

I deny this reality.

IP Logged

Griff
Sitting In

Tuba's, Tenor Horn's,
and Cornet's...

Reply #10 - Jun 11th, 2015 at 10:52am
Print Post  
Just completed 7 Whit Friday marches with Skippy. A friend played my A Hall Gisbourne Tenor Horn.

Decided to take Skippy to another instrument repair person, and bought a Besson 8-10 Trumpet while I was there.

I deny this reality.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint