Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Mystery trombone (Read 2933 times)
brassyblonde
Sideman

Trumpets, trombones and
tubas . . . oh my!

Mystery trombone
Jan 6th, 2014 at 6:21am
Print Post  
I found an unusual trombone on craigslist and bought it (because I wanted to save it from becoming another lamp!) even tho I didn't recognize the name on the bell.  It says "Advance" in small simple letters on the bell, and has no engraving, and no other lettering other than a serial no. and "Czechoslovakia". Its really small bore, and has a friction fit at the tenon joint, indicating its pretty old  (I'm guessing in the 1920's).  It also came with an unusual old leather case, but I'm not sure its original.  The horn is also silver, actually looks like chrome, not like the other silver plated horns I have.  I worked on the slide enough to get it to move so I could play the horn, its not a great sounding horn, so I am guessing it was a student or entry level horn.  I looks like another trombone I have, a "Lameroux Freres", which I suspect was also a Czech-built horn (in spite of the french-sounding name)
I suspect the uber-shiny finish is due to a clearcoat of paint/laquer that someone did over the silverplate, in the past, I may strip it off, I would like to keep the horn as original as possible.
If anyone has any additional info on this horn, please let me know. 

"if you're not gonna practice that thing, you might as well turn it into a lamp!"

IP Logged

kenton
YaBB Administrator

Re: Mystery trombone
Reply #1 - Jan 6th, 2014 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
Both Advance and Lamoreaux were trade names used by Sears Robuck Co. I'm wondering whether the horn may be german silver, which doesn't look quite like silver - because it is really a variation on brass.  But usually, it is has a brighter shine that the sandblasted silver plate.

IP Logged

brassyblonde
Sideman

Trumpets, trombones and
tubas . . . oh my!

Re: Mystery trombone
Reply #2 - Jan 6th, 2014 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
kenton wrote on Jan 6th, 2014 at 1:48pm:
Both Advance and Lamoreaux were trade names used by Sears Robuck Co. I'm wondering whether the horn may be german silver, which doesn't look quite like silver - because it is really a variation on brass.  But usually, it is has a brighter shine that the sandblasted silver plate.

Thanks for the info, that sounds exactly right for the finish, it seems soft, yet very shiny.  The poor bell was beaten up because of the slide hitting it while in the case.  I worked most of the dents out, but its still pretty scratched up.  I don't intend to make this look like new, but I want to get it back to a working horn, and repair the case so it properly protects the horn.  The silver version has a wider and heavier handslide than the yellow brass trombone, but doesn't sound nearly as well, and the yellow brass horn has extensive engraving on the bell whereas the silver horn has simple lettering.  But it will be a nice addition to the collection.

"if you're not gonna practice that thing, you might as well turn it into a lamp!"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint