Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Not sure where this one goes (Read 6328 times)
Niner
Major Contributor

Not sure where this one goes
Apr 9th, 2013 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
I picked up a stencil peashooter with the name of Nickerbocker. It also has "made in USA" on it.  From what I see on the stencil page it may have been made by Conn. 

The serial number is 14142, not a likely Conn number...at least not added from their regular line.

I don't know what the name is connected to as a retail product but would be curious to know..  There was a large Nickerbocker Piano company early in the 20th Centruy. They did deal in sheet music as well as pianos.  There was another company that was involved mostly with phonographs but had other music interests as well.  The Knickerbocker Piano company went bankrupt sometime in the late 1920's. The record player company was associated with the "his master's voice" dog listening attentively to an old horn phonograph.

In any case, this horn has some distinctive freatures in itself.  One unusual feature is that the bottom valve caps have a circular guide inside each to guide the spring.  This one takes a standard modern mouthpiece and is mechanically in very good shape.  The pistons show no rust, only some darkening of the cases.

IP Logged

kenton
YaBB Administrator

Re: Not sure where this one goes
Reply #1 - Apr 10th, 2013 at 3:48am
Print Post  
We have Two in the catalog.  No more info though.

IP Logged

Kurt Walter
Major Contributor

Trumpets, trombones and
tubas . . . oh my!

Reply #2 - Apr 12th, 2013 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
Hi,
I see you're the one that purchased the trumpet off Ebay. Congratulations. I was interested in the horn as to me it was reminiscent of a Conn style horn, maybe based on a Pan American pea shooter. The engraving, the bracing and the valve block design all make me think Conn . . . but then I am new at this type of guessing game as one can tell by my posts on this forum for the Eb Alto horn and the Orpheus trumpet.

IP Logged

Niner
Major Contributor

Reply #3 - Apr 12th, 2013 at 9:39pm
Print Post  
Kurt, the information I'm getting at another site also supports the notion that it probably comes from Conn or one of its sub lines.  It's a decent and fun addition to the flock for not much money invested, whatever the origin..

IP Logged

Kurt Walter
Major Contributor

Trumpets, trombones and
tubas . . . oh my!

Reply #4 - Apr 14th, 2013 at 6:32am
Print Post  
I was at a swap meet today and saw a Windsor brass lacquered trumpet, Someone had take a torch to and ruined the thing, but interestingly enough, it was engraved very similarly to your Knickerbocker, but had Windsor, Elkart Indiana on it. The braces and bracing were virtulay the same. I bought it, kept the case and sold the horn as it was junk.

IP Logged

kenton
YaBB Administrator

Reply #5 - Apr 14th, 2013 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
In that case, you'll want to check out the Buescher/Elkhart connection.

IP Logged

Kurt Walter
Major Contributor

Trumpets, trombones and
tubas . . . oh my!

Reply #6 - Nov 22nd, 2013 at 7:38am
Print Post  
While checking around I found this. This is also recently posted on the trumpetmaster site where I am also responding.
Kenton, with niner's permission, we should move this to the "I have this horn" or one of the other sections where it might get more exposure. It's so similar to Cavalier that I go involved for my serial number study.
Funny thing - - I asked him to post it on this site on the trumpetmaster site just a few minutes ago. I asked him to include the specs. He indicates, this horn has a 4-1/2" bell, but a 0.438 bore.

IP Logged

Niner
Major Contributor

Reply #7 - Nov 22nd, 2013 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
Here are a few snaps I took a while ago. I tried to show some about measurements that were as close as I could get to them. Looks like my previous bore guess was off a bit. The Elkhart bore measure was about exactly the same measured today as the Nickerbocker measured with the same instrument.   One excuse about previous measurement was using a less accurate measuring device... a  bad read...or just typing it wrong over at the other site. 

Here is the Knickerbocker top and a Buescher/Elkhart under it.  The bottom horn has a quarter inch smaller bell and the braces are very different.

« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2013 at 4:16pm by Niner »  
IP Logged

Kurt Walter
Major Contributor

Trumpets, trombones and
tubas . . . oh my!

Reply #8 - Nov 23rd, 2013 at 8:03am
Print Post  
Niner,
I don't think you got the Buescher uploaded. I did enjoy reading the thanksgiving menu though! LOL
The bore as you measured it would be similar to the Conn 2-1/2 bore, Very few trumpets in Conn or stencils have that bore. Also, I don't think any of the Conn Peashooters had that large a bore nor 4-1/2"" bells.
Doing some more searching, Knickerbockers were also in the saxes. The Sax forums point toward Buescher and Martin. However, they also mention that there are stencils that seem to combine parts from the various Elkahrt factories, particularly Conn, Buescher and Elkhart Band.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint