Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Say "hi" (Read 41239 times)
MarChant
Sideman

Trumpets, trombones and
tubas . . . oh my!

Re: Say "hi"
Reply #75 - Mar 8th, 2016 at 4:43am
Print Post  
Hi!

I came across this site looking for information about a Mahillon, what I thought was a bariton or Euphonium. Asked info at the mim (Museum of Musical Instruments) in Brussels, since the museum is founded by Victor Mahillon and has a large collection of Mahillon instruments. Turns out my instrument is a Bass Saxhorn. It has "A" and a 5-point star engraved on the bell, so according to the list here it should be from 1927.

Though this is my first real oldtimer horn, I have always been interested in vintage brass. Ever since I started on trumpet 30 years ago...

Although I still have my trumpet, alledgedly a Conn 22B from 1952 and a Conn cornet, but that is currently at my parent's house, so I can't check the serial number. Those might be considered 'vintage' as well, I guess?

IP Logged

kenton
YaBB Administrator

Reply #76 - Mar 8th, 2016 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
I don't think we have ever defined vintage for our purposes, though I suspect that vintage varies by person.  Though, I suspect it roughly comes in at 1 1/2 times the person's age!

IP Logged

KimC
Major Contributor
repair

Reply #77 - Mar 8th, 2016 at 8:06pm
Print Post  
kenton wrote on Mar 8th, 2016 at 4:40pm:
I don't think we have ever defined vintage for our purposes, though I suspect that vintage varies by person. Though, I suspect it roughly comes in at 1 1/2 times the person's age!

That should at least make me 100..

IP Logged

kenton
YaBB Administrator

Reply #78 - Mar 8th, 2016 at 9:59pm
Print Post  
Me too, 103.5 to be exact.

IP Logged

Maikibone
Sitting In

Trumpets, trombones and
tubas . . . oh my!

Reply #79 - Mar 18th, 2016 at 12:09pm
Print Post  
Hi Everybody
This is Miquel from Mallorca Island (Spain) and I,m very happy to join this site and share infomation and experiences related with horns.

Let's beguin!!!!

IP Logged

kenton
YaBB Administrator

Reply #80 - Mar 18th, 2016 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
Welcome Miquel,

I have fond memories of Mallorca.  I visited there, wow, about 45 years ago when I was in the Navy.

What are the dominant brand names in your area?

IP Logged

Maikibone
Sitting In

Trumpets, trombones and
tubas . . . oh my!

Reply #81 - Mar 19th, 2016 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
Hi Kenton.

Mallorca is a pretty small island. We are near 900.000 people living here. But in the summer season it's really overbooked. Tourists and tourists from now march-april (cyclists) till november.

We only have the Palma symphony and the Palma Concert Wind band as professional.
Every small town has amateur concert bands. The music panorama changed  a lot from the last 25 years, when I started with the trombone.

I started with  a Rott valve trombone when I was 9 years old, two years after I get my first slide trombone it was a King 4B, then move to Bach 42G, Courtois Challenger 420, and my last is a Michael Rath R4F with Nickelsilver Bell.

I also own many small-medium vintage trombones, Olds Super 49, Martin committe 51, Martin Imperial 53, Connstellation 48H from 1977, Conn 6h 67. all of them in good condition and ready to play.

I'm freelance trombonist playing jazz and modern music 90% and many classical and symphonic, but fewer.

Thanks for your admission. This is a nice site for brass players and brass lovers.

Regards

Miquel

IP Logged

kenton
YaBB Administrator

Reply #82 - Mar 20th, 2016 at 2:02am
Print Post  
That's interesting.  I'm surprised at some many US made instruments.  I think I would really like a Rath bass trombone.  I just don't have a good enough excuse to actually buy one!

IP Logged

ArtTatumII
Sitting In
repair

Trumpets, trombones and
tubas . . . oh my!

Reply #83 - Sep 12th, 2016 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
Hello All,
I am Art, recently retired, and now I have the time and energy to resume my interest in horn playing, and repair. My family has four generations of horn players, and I have recently reacquired 2 horns that were lent to the forth generation player, I am of the 3rd generation. My niece grew out of my horns, and now has her own Conn double. 

I found this wonderful resource site when it became time to rehabilitate these vintage horns after years in mothballs without maintenance. I have learned so much through this site, but I still lots of questions about these "priceless" , at least to me, golden treasures.

The double horn that I played from grade-school through college is my Fathers, King, White, Cleveland, Ohio, F/B flat, (with the piston valve B flat),  Ser#113783, circa 1929. This is according to the tables of Ser#, which was how I first found this site, by Googling French horn Serial numbers.

I also have my uncle's single horn that will be best described in the thread that I paraphrase as: "what the heck is this horn, and how did it end up here" and also "how do I fix this mess?" Grin

I am looking forward to these new research and repair projects with the help of the vast expertise and experience found here. Smiley

I now need to learn how to post images to the thread, as a picture is worth more than a thousand words.

Art

IP Logged

kenton
YaBB Administrator

Reply #84 - Sep 14th, 2016 at 12:50pm
Print Post  
Art, good to have you join us.  The way we do things here, is that if you have an instrument that you want to display just for the sake of discussion, you can use one of the photo sharing apps, etc.  Or, if the images should go in the HUC database, then send the images to me (both profiles, the logo and any significant details)  and I'll make a composite and add it to the database.  We try to put one image of every model we find in the database, but try not to duplicate.

IP Logged

SaxFlute
Sideman

Trumpets, trombones and
tubas . . . oh my!

Reply #85 - Oct 10th, 2016 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
Olá!

I come from a big tiny country called Portugal, and although I don't play brass, I have a thing for vintage and rare instruments, so I got here in the left side of the web.

Best regards to all!
Carlos

IP Logged

kenton
YaBB Administrator

Reply #86 - Oct 10th, 2016 at 5:05pm
Print Post  
Hi Carlos,

Welcome to HUC.  I hope we have some informtion that is helpful to you.

I have a question.  What seems like the common and vintage instrument brands you are likely to see in Portuagal?

IP Logged

SaxFlute
Sideman

Trumpets, trombones and
tubas . . . oh my!

Reply #87 - Oct 10th, 2016 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
Hi Kenton, thank you Smiley

There are a few that come up from time to time, like Cuesnon, Armstrong, Selmer, Weltklang, Conn... and more but I don't really remember them all.

IP Logged

pryorphone
Global Moderator
repair

Oboes are best used for
setting fire to bassoons

Reply #88 - Oct 10th, 2016 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
Olá

I met my wife when we were both on an Orchestal tour of Portugal.  And I have very fond memories of your country even if I hadn't!

Enjoyed the Museu Calouste Gulbenkian, too!

Michael Keller
unPrincipaled Tuba Emeritus
The Delaware Symphony Orchestra

IP Logged

SaxFlute
Sideman

Trumpets, trombones and
tubas . . . oh my!

Reply #89 - Oct 10th, 2016 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
Hi pryorphone,

I'm glad that my country could serve as the mean for you and your to be wife have met and fall in love Smiley

I also like the museum too, the orchestra is very good and it has a lot of amazing concerts in its halls.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 
Send TopicPrint