Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Say "hi" (Read 42711 times)
kenton
YaBB Administrator

Re: Say "hi"
Reply #60 - Sep 17th, 2015 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
Horn looks to be in pretty good shape. Of course the condition and needs of the valves can't be determined by a picture.  If the price stays low, it might be a reasonable project.  We can talk you through the steps.

IP Logged

vespa50sp
Sitting In

Trumpets, trombones and
tubas . . . oh my!

Reply #61 - Oct 14th, 2015 at 2:33am
Print Post  
I've stumbled across this site before, but have become more obsessed with it since purchasing a helicon. I'm a low brass guy. I have a Besson 700 tuba, Besson 210 Baritone and an old King Trombone besides the Champion Silver Piston Helicon.

It's nice to drop in.

IP Logged

kenton
YaBB Administrator

Reply #62 - Oct 14th, 2015 at 3:05am
Print Post  
And, we are glad you did.

IP Logged

Ryden
Sitting In

Trumpets, trombones and
tubas . . . oh my!

Reply #63 - Dec 14th, 2015 at 11:34am
Print Post  
Hi!

I started playing the trumpet as a kid. Eventually I switched over to baritone horn as the school band needed one, and from there on the horns got bigger and bigger and i ended up with that stalwart pillar of musical society. The tuba.

It's been many years since I played a tuba but I still have some bits of brass and came her so seek info about them.
Cheers!
//A

IP Logged

pryorphone
Global Moderator
repair

Oboes are best used for
setting fire to bassoons

Reply #64 - Dec 14th, 2015 at 3:30pm
Print Post  
Sounds like my story, also.
I always tell people that I "sank" to the level of my instrument...

Michael Keller
unPrincipaled Tuba Emeritus
The Delaware Symphony Orchestra

IP Logged

Jhereg
Sitting In

Reply #65 - Dec 15th, 2015 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
Hi!

I'm Megan, I play with the circus. I'm usually on the trombone forum under the same username.

Nice to meet you!

IP Logged

kenton
YaBB Administrator

Reply #66 - Dec 15th, 2015 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
Not as many people can say that they play with the circus as there used to be!  Welcome.

IP Logged

Jhereg
Sitting In

Reply #67 - Dec 17th, 2015 at 1:58am
Print Post  
kenton wrote on Dec 15th, 2015 at 5:46pm:
Not as many people can say that they play with the circus as there used to be!  Welcome.

A sad truth. And thank you! Nice to see another PA peep in the forum! (I'm from Bloomsburg)

IP Logged

Niner
Major Contributor

Reply #68 - Dec 22nd, 2015 at 4:46am
Print Post  
Niner wrote on Dec 22nd, 2015 at 4:46am:
jhereg, you ever hear of Leo Labranche?  He started out playing cornet in a circus. He's come a long way  since. I bought an old cornet from him a year or two ago.  http://www.discogs.com/artist/777313-Leo-LaBranche

IP Logged

Jhereg
Sitting In

Reply #69 - Dec 22nd, 2015 at 4:06pm
Print Post  
jhereg, you ever hear of Leo Labranche?  He started out playing cornet in a circus. He's come a long way  since. I bought an old cornet from him a year or two ago.  http://www.discogs.com/artist/777313-Leo-LaBranche

Nope, never met him! Do you know which circus(es) he played with?
Thanks for the link. I'll look him up Smiley

IP Logged

Niner
Major Contributor

Reply #70 - Dec 23rd, 2015 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
I can't remember which but he told me either Barnum and Bailey or Ringling. His circus band time would have been back in the 60's or early 70's I'd guess. I'm not in touch with him anymore.  I don't know if I ever had his email address.. maybe.only back and forth through the ebay "seller sent a message" thing. 

He sent me a CD of more than 20 numbers he had recorded with him playing the trumpet lead. They were all professionally done with accompaniment.  They hadn't been released yet as I understood it. Some were his new compositions and some were his versions of jazz standards like Tangerine and other tunes of about that era.
He apologized for some off notes as he says what he sent weren't the final cuts.  I can't remember noticing any clunkers though.

IP Logged

Niner
Major Contributor

Reply #71 - Dec 23rd, 2015 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
Niner wrote on Dec 23rd, 2015 at 3:57pm:
I can't remember which but he told me either Barnum and Bailey or Ringling. His circus band time would have been back in the early to mid  60's I'd guess. He was a teenager then.  I'm not in touch with him anymore.  I don't know if I ever had his email address.. maybe.only back and forth through the ebay "seller sent a message" thing. 

He sent me a CD of more than 20 numbers he had recorded with him playing the trumpet lead. They were all professionally done with accompaniment.  They hadn't been released yet as I understood it. Some were his new compositions and some were his versions of jazz standards like Tangerine and other tunes of about that era.
He apologized for some off notes as he says what he sent weren't the final cuts.  I can't remember noticing any clunkers though.

IP Logged

Jhereg
Sitting In

Reply #72 - Dec 23rd, 2015 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
Niner wrote on Dec 23rd, 2015 at 3:57pm:
I can't remember which but he told me either Barnum and Bailey or Ringling. His circus band time would have been back in the 60's or early 70's I'd guess. I'm not in touch with him anymore.  I don't know if I ever had his email address.. maybe.only back and forth through the ebay "seller sent a message" thing. 

Yeah, the circus was very different back then! That was before they used an in-house band...they had locals instead.

Ringling Bros. IS Barnum and Bailey, they are the same circus. The name is currently owned by Feld Entertainment, which also does Monster Jam, Disney on Ice, and more.

IP Logged

AdMan
Sitting In

Trumpets, trombones and
tubas . . . oh my!

Reply #73 - Jan 5th, 2016 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
Hi, I'm Adam, otherwise known as AdMan, how's everybody doin here? I joined because I've got an antique 1937 H.N. White King Liberty trumpet that I want to eventually sell. Just wanna do it the right way. Not very much reference to them here yet but hopefully some knowledge pops up. I've got pics if anybody's interested. I'll start a thread elsewhere for them though.

AdMan
IP Logged

kenton
YaBB Administrator

Reply #74 - Jan 6th, 2016 at 12:36am
Print Post  
It sort of depends on what information you may be looking for. 

There is official information on the instrument at: 

http://www.hnwhite.com/Trumpet%20Page.htm

But beyond that, it may be helpful to ask specific questions.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 
Send TopicPrint