Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Say "hi" (Read 42548 times)
kenton
YaBB Administrator

Re: Say "hi"
Reply #45 - Jul 18th, 2015 at 11:18am
Print Post  
Union was a line of imported student level instruments.  It was White's initial entry into the student market, before they started making their own.

IP Logged

getson
Sitting In

Trumpets, trombones and
tubas . . . oh my!

Reply #46 - Jul 20th, 2015 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
Hi, New member as of today!  This site keeps getting mentioned on the TH and TM forums so after checking things out here I decided to join.  I played trumpet a long time ago, a really long time ago, and wanted to try to start playing again. Picked up a Getzen 490 at a second hand store at a great price and am slowly but surely making progress. Lots of good info here so I'll check in often!

IP Logged

kenton
YaBB Administrator

Reply #47 - Jul 20th, 2015 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
Getson with a Getzen, I like that!

IP Logged

Samulis
Sitting In

"If it moves, toot!"

Reply #48 - Aug 26th, 2015 at 3:07am
Print Post  
Hey! Or, should I say, "hi"!

I've floated around the database a number of times; it's both a dangerous place and a wonderful place (I tend to lose track of time and just drift around looking at all the beautiful engravings and the like... almost as dangerous as Robb Stewart's site).

A bit about myself, I guess... I come from a "line" of trombone players going back several generations. My fascination with early instruments started not with a brass instrument, but with a fretless zither a friend loaned me for a month. After that, I was hooked. Next thing I knew, I ran out of space under my bed and I was spending my weekends building cases for the oddities that magically appeared around the house.

I now have a modest little collection of trombones, alto instruments, and the like, which I play regularly wherever and whenever I can (yeah, I'm the guy who brings the 1905 Conn trombone in the ratty case to every gig). I'd love to share not just pictures, but also some sound clips and observations on the instruments, as long as that's fine. I have a keen fascination with how instruments function. Smiley

Toot Toot on that Ragtime... Ophicleide?
IP Logged

kenton
YaBB Administrator

Reply #49 - Aug 26th, 2015 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
Welcome, but you didn't mention your oph!

IP Logged

Samulis
Sitting In

"If it moves, toot!"

Reply #50 - Aug 27th, 2015 at 6:02am
Print Post  
kenton wrote on Aug 26th, 2015 at 3:57pm:
Welcome, but you didn't mention your oph!

I'm still figuring her out! I'm the sucker who ended up with this (top) along with my very own plywood coffin and enough packing material to keep the cat entertained for days. Whoever worked her over did a decent job, but boy, I don't want to know what they went through to polish her! Trying to figure out E versus Eb; the manufacturer built the key that is supposedly E as two keys hooked together (I've seen some pictures of other instruments like this... rendering what seems to be a rather sharp E), so you have to either lip that down or lip the Eb up it seems (which is not really that big of a deal on an ophicleide); unless I'm doing something wrong, which is eternally possible. Of course, it doesn't help that, as always, I don't seem to have quite the proper mouthpiece (the one that came is essentially a giant version of the "tenor saxhorn" mouthpiece I linked to in the other thread)...

I wouldn't dare call myself an ophicleide player yet though... about all I can manage is a larghetto e simplice rendition of Blue Danube! Hopefully in a year or two with enough practice I'll be able to bring her to gigs other than free improvisation. Really lovely tone if you treat her right and sacrifice a goat to the godess of random rattles and key noises.

You wouldn't happen to know any Ophicleide players or enthusiasts around here I could message with questions, or have any recommendations for places to look? I couldn't find a whole lot of information on playing technique and such. A ton of great photos, some good background history, and a few suggestive fingering charts.

IP Logged

kenton
YaBB Administrator

Reply #51 - Aug 28th, 2015 at 3:04am
Print Post  
There are a couple of us on here. There may be more, though they msy not want to admit it.

IP Logged

pryorphone
Global Moderator
repair

Oboes are best used for
setting fire to bassoons

Reply #52 - Aug 28th, 2015 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
I got one playing years ago and did a few subscription series Berlioz pieces like Fantastique with the Delaware Symphony, but that was quite some time ago...

Michael Keller
unPrincipaled Tuba Emeritus
The Delaware Symphony Orchestra

IP Logged

Samulis
Sitting In

"If it moves, toot!"

Reply #53 - Aug 28th, 2015 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
pryorphone wrote on Aug 28th, 2015 at 7:55pm:
I got one playing years ago and did a few subscription series Berlioz pieces like Fantastique with the Delaware Symphony, but that was quite some time ago...

Sweet! It seems Fantastique is sort of standard rep. for the Ophi. I think I have a score of it around here somewhere... I should probably try learning the part.

Ironically, I've found the upper register, at least on mine, more pleasing/useful than the actual bass register, though it's likely just me/my mouthpiece/etc.

IP Logged

kenton
YaBB Administrator

Reply #54 - Aug 29th, 2015 at 12:37am
Print Post  
I've generally played in the low range of the instrument, and have used adapted bass trombone or Eb tuba mouthpieces.   But on the occasions where I played in the upper range, I needed to use a tenor trombone sized mouthpiece.  At least, for me on this particular instrument, intonation goes sharp in the low range using the smaller mouthpiece, and intonation goes flat in the upper range using the larger mouthpiece 

I wouldn't want to lay much claim on the performance of these instruments with 20th Century mouthpieces, as a matched mouthpiece may give considerably different results.  But, I've seen ads for reproduction mouthpieces, that were advertised for low range use and high range use; so maybe that is just the character of the instrument.

IP Logged

Samulis
Sitting In

"If it moves, toot!"

Reply #55 - Aug 29th, 2015 at 12:44am
Print Post  
kenton wrote on Aug 29th, 2015 at 12:37am:
I've generally played in the low range of the instrument, and have used adapted bass trombone or Eb tuba mouthpieces.   But on the occasions where I played in the upper range, I needed to use a tenor trombone sized mouthpiece.  At least, for me on this particular instrument, intonation goes sharp in the low range using the smaller mouthpiece, and intonation goes flat in the upper range using the larger mouthpiece 

I wouldn't want to lay much claim on the performance of these instruments with 20th Century mouthpieces, as a matched mouthpiece may give considerably different results.  But, I've seen ads for reproduction mouthpieces, that were advertised for low range use and high range use; so maybe that is just the character of the instrument.

Kenton, that seems spot-on with my own experiences! I have a larger tenor trombone mouthpiece that fits decently and gives a nice tone in the upper register, and a (likely) period mouthpiece that sounds good in the lower end... maybe it has something to do with the extremely conical nature of the bore? I was reading an interesting page a few weeks ago (here) about the physics of brass instruments, where they did some experiments with normal pipe, then adding a bell, then a mouthpiece, to see how each element affected intonation, and also some examples of how the overall bore shape of the instrument affected the intonation.

Either way, thanks for your help! Maybe I will look into some of the repro options I've seen. Smiley

IP Logged

pryorphone
Global Moderator
repair

Oboes are best used for
setting fire to bassoons

Reply #56 - Aug 29th, 2015 at 3:53am
Print Post  
Samulis wrote on Aug 28th, 2015 at 8:15pm:
pryorphone wrote on Aug 28th, 2015 at 7:55pm:

Sweet! It seems Fantastique is sort of standard rep. for the Ophi. I think I have a score of it around here somewhere... I should probably try learning the part.

Ironically, I've found the upper register, at least on mine, more pleasing/useful than the actual bass register, though it's likely just me/my mouthpiece/etc.

Actually, I found the part much easier to play on ophicleide than I did on bass or contrabass tuba...

Michael Keller
unPrincipaled Tuba Emeritus
The Delaware Symphony Orchestra

IP Logged

Barry Gilman
Sitting In

Trumpets, trombones and
tubas . . . oh my!

Reply #57 - Sep 16th, 2015 at 6:14am
Print Post  
I am here for the first time today and very excited as I am a brass nubie. I had my first baritone lesson three weeks ago.  I have played string bass and guitar for many years but arthritis is making that a lot harder.  I also enjoy restoring vintage things like cars, motorcycles, musical instruments, radio equipment, tools and teletype machines.
I spotted an old Missenharter, Excelsior, Harry Coleman baritone with a serial of 11687.  Is that something that would be worth restoring?
Thanks for providing this great resource.
Barry

IP Logged

kenton
YaBB Administrator

Reply #58 - Sep 16th, 2015 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
Need more information.   The condition of the horn would have a great deal of bearing on whether to redo it or not.  Also, were you planning on teaching yourself to do the work, or are you planning on purchasing that service.

IP Logged

Barry Gilman
Sitting In

Trumpets, trombones and
tubas . . . oh my!

Reply #59 - Sep 17th, 2015 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
I would undertake the work myself as I really enjoy this kind of project.
This is the description in the ad:
Description:Antique Missenharter Brass Euphonium/Baritone. Features the pictured antique brass euphonium or baritone horn with a rotary valve design. Comes in an antique York brand case.
Manufacturer/Marks:Missenharter Medaille 1st Class Philadelphia (see picture for all marks) #11687. Mouthpiece is marked France.
Dimensions:27" x 17.5" x 13.5". Please note that the weight listed is dimensional, not actual weight, because this item will ship oversize.
Condition: Heavy wear from age/use - body shows corrosion/rust in spots and dents are noted to the tubes as well as the bell. Valves stick when keys are pushed and none of the slides move. Very dirty. Case shows heavy damage/soiling from age and has a strong, musty odor. A great long term project or antique collectible for any instrument fan. Unless otherwise stated, all items are assumed to be in used condition and are sold in “AS FOUND” “AS IS” CONDITION.

Photos are available at the following website;
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=24214504

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Send TopicPrint