Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Say "hi" (Read 41235 times)
kenton
YaBB Administrator

Re: Say "hi"
Reply #30 - Dec 3rd, 2012 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
Tom wrote on Dec 3rd, 2012 at 1:40pm:
although I do prefer my comfy modern Wick mouthpiece to the cookie cutters that came with the Beuscher!

Probably true on soprano instruments, but I have come to find that for me a flat rim is good to play on on tenor instruments.

IP Logged

bduchscher
Sitting In

Trumpets, trombones and
tubas . . . oh my!

Reply #31 - Dec 26th, 2012 at 9:26pm
Print Post  
Hi. I was led originally years ago as I was looking for information on the 1966 Holton T102 that I bought new in High School (there is not one in your catalog). Turns out all roads led to a model T102 that was produced between the mid 1980's to 2005 that was a Bach Strad 43 clone, the T101 being a Bach Strad 37 clone. My horn looked NOTHING like a Bach. It has a wide wrap and 1st valve trigger and looked very similar to a Conn 28B or 36B Connstellation. Don Ellis' horn (T105) looked exactly like mine with a quarter-tone valve. It has taken almost 2 years, a lot of emails and several calls to Holton Customer Service to determine that Holton re-used their naming convention for an entire new generation of trumpets. Since then I have purchased a 1941 Conn 48A Vocabell (which I have restored), a 1925 Conn 22B New York Symphony (in pristine original shape) and a 1932 York (also in pristine original shape). I also purchased a newer generation (2005) Holton T101 "Symphony" as my research into my original horn led me to reviews that the later generation Holtons were even better than the Bach Strads they were cloning. Having played many Bach 37's over the course of my life (each one has it's own quirks), I was forced to agree. Anyway, since that original research I continue to add to my collection. So I'm glad to be here. Thanks.

IP Logged

kenton
YaBB Administrator

Reply #32 - Dec 26th, 2012 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
HI, if you care to send pictures of your horn(s) that you have that are not contained in our database, I'll process and post them. 

Thanks

Kenton@horn-u-copia.net

IP Logged

kenton
YaBB Administrator

Reply #33 - Dec 27th, 2012 at 1:40am
Print Post  
bduchscher,

I started working on the pictures you sent.  The Holton has me confused.  The receiver has T102 on it but one of your pictures is labeled T104.  Am I missing something?

IP Logged

Zoehgirl
Sitting In

Trumpets, trombones and
tubas . . . oh my!

Reply #34 - Dec 27th, 2012 at 2:26am
Print Post  
Hello all Smiley

IP Logged

kenton
YaBB Administrator

Reply #35 - Dec 27th, 2012 at 2:48am
Print Post  
This is a Holton T101 Trumpet (c. 2005)

IP Logged

Jonahman10
Sitting In

Trumpets, trombones and
tubas . . . oh my!

Reply #36 - Dec 27th, 2012 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
Hello!

IP Logged

mlzachmann
Sitting In

Trumpets, trombones and
tubas . . . oh my!

Reply #37 - Mar 7th, 2013 at 3:33am
Print Post  
Just getting started with Horn-u-copia. Interesting sight and I'm not even a horn-blower. I'm here doing research on a French Horn. Bohland & Fuch is faintly etched on the bell and I haven't found a serial # to help me identify it specifically. It is most similar to serial # 5741 found in your catalog.

I hope to upload photos soon.

Take care,
MZ

MZ

IP Logged

kenton
YaBB Administrator

Reply #38 - Mar 7th, 2013 at 3:59am
Print Post  
A serial number isn't going to help with Bohland and Fuchs.  There isn't a chronological list for the brand.

IP Logged

kthazard
Sitting In

Trumpets, trombones and
tubas . . . oh my!

Reply #39 - Mar 16th, 2015 at 3:14am
Print Post  
Hello All,
I recently joined the group and am looking forward to researching and studying the information here. I have a desire to help save and restore the craftsmanship, art and history of the old master horn makers. There are great horns being made today but I think the works of art are fewer today. Just my opinion. I like old cars and antiques so I am a little biased     I suppose.  Smiley

IP Logged

upstateny13
Sitting In

Trumpets, trombones and
tubas . . . oh my!

Reply #40 - Apr 21st, 2015 at 1:08pm
Print Post  
Just joined this site, after following a link from John Ericson's "Horn Matters" website.  I've had a compensating double horn for 45 years, and  recently had it refurbished by Osmun's near Boston.  New interest in refurbishing my playing!  And, in finding out more about the horn.  Moving to the part of this website that asks about horns for the rest of this.

IP Logged

dcpritchett
Sitting In

Trumpets, trombones and
tubas . . . oh my!

Reply #41 - May 6th, 2015 at 3:55am
Print Post  
I believe you have a horn from the 60s.  They built the T101-4 from 65 thru, I believe 69. I have a T101 and I went to high school with a player who had the T102. Neither has anything to do with the Bach design and the spread of the crook was a full 4" with a first valve trigger.  I also own a T101G from 95 and it is totally different and very similar to the Bach 37. My serial is 433xxx and was built in 66-67.  Hope this helps.

IP Logged

FearLess
Sideman

Be Dedicated - Be Fearless!

Reply #42 - May 6th, 2015 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
Hello everyone. I just started looking at vintage instruments though I have been interested all my playing career. In 1975/1976 I was in High School and my small town in up-state NY produced a "Traveling Road Show" for the Bi-Centennial. Part of the show was me and a few students dressing up in "Vintage" marching band outfits from the past and walking around at taking pictures with folks. I also carried a vintage G bugle that actually played. During the stage presentation I used that bugle to to play taps off stage after the show covered the death of Lincoln. In 1977 I joined the Albion Grenadiers Drum and Bugle Corps. and played some really old horns. Mine only had 1 piston. (Might be vintage now!) After that it was on to the Rochester Crusaders and then Phantom Regiment. I just purchased my first true vintage Lyon&Healy "Improved Own Make" Eb Mellophone. It is playable but I don't have a mouthpiece. I was hoping to get some help with questions abut this Horn.
Regards,

Fearless

IP Logged

geri
Sitting In

Trumpets, trombones and
tubas . . . oh my!

Reply #43 - Jul 18th, 2015 at 1:45am
Print Post  
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about an old horn that I came across recently from an Estate Sale. It has this on it UNION H.N. White Sole Agent Cleveland O. It looks like a number 1 where the serial number should be. It does have a lot of dents.  Please if you can tell me anything about it, I would really appreciate it.   Thank you

IP Logged

Niner
Major Contributor

Reply #44 - Jul 18th, 2015 at 2:52am
Print Post  
geri... check out this site.   http://www.hnwhite.com/second%20page.htm

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Send TopicPrint