Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Say "hi" (Read 42714 times)
jellymouth
Sitting In

Trumpets, trombones and
tubas . . . oh my!

Re: Say "hi"
Reply #15 - Feb 14th, 2012 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
Hi, I just joined to collect and potentially share information on horns.  I have a 100 yr old Lyon-Healy Inspiration cornet that works but could have work done.  I'll be looking for ideas here.

I was a trumpet player in high school in NJ.  Was good, but limited by braces.  Went to engineering school and eventually dropped it because engineering is hard.  My kids are entering college now and I"ve taken playing back up - no braces now.  Having good results.

I own a Besson International trumpet in great sparkling shape for my main horn.  I play in a brass quintet started at work (we play in the lab so early nobody is around).

I will probably buy additional horns in coming months and will enjoy the information at this site.

Maybe I won't be such a jellymouth soon.  Been playing 8 months now and range/clarity is improving remarkably.
   Bill

IP Logged

kenton
YaBB Administrator

Reply #16 - Feb 14th, 2012 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
Bill,

Welcome back in the ranks of playing musicians.  Most of us have lost our way for a while, but come back.

kms

IP Logged

kevin
Senior Contributor
repair

Lip actuated aerophones

Reply #17 - Feb 14th, 2012 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
Hi!  I have had to take the comeback trail. It's actually fairly easy for an old guy with a good foundation to get back in the swing. You find yourself approaching the matter with a much wider view and you know what you have to do to reach your goal. For me, scales and long notes are no longer a chore, but rather the meat and potatoes. To paraphrase Eugene levy, anyone can play a tune but the real focus for the student should be working on method and building emboucher. The tunes take care of themselves.

IP Logged

Head2Wind
Sitting In

Trumpets, trombones and
tubas . . . oh my!

Reply #18 - Feb 15th, 2012 at 10:36pm
Print Post  
Hi, I'm new and while I haven't played a horn for many decades, I did grow up in Elkhart Indiana and bicycled ever day past instrument factories on my way to school. My grandfather had been the President of Martin Band Instruments up until 1948 (just a few years before I made the scene). My Uncle Fritz, who made it to Chicago's jazz explosion at age 16, was a accomplished clarinet musician, but settled down by the early thirties with a wonderful wife and was the floor manager at the Martin plant for another 30 years. Grandad had actually joined Martin in 1921 as the National Sales Manager. Together with a exceptionally skilled group of metalworkers and machinists, many recent immigrants from Germany, they lived thru the hayday of Elkhart's and Martin's success in the instrument industry. I'm no authority on the Martin line of horns, but I hope I can pass on what I do know of their work and families.

IP Logged

derekmac
Sitting In

Trumpets, trombones and
tubas . . . oh my!

Reply #19 - Apr 11th, 2012 at 1:42am
Print Post  
Hi.
I play low brass and have recently acquired a few holder horns.  My kids are all in elementary school and in my efforts to find a variety of horns for them to choose from as they experience concert band I now own some interesting horns.  I have a Henri Selmer Cornet, a bunch of trombones, a Besson Sovereign Euph, and may soon have a few more trombones and a sousaphone (fiberglass and bright red!!).

I appreciate having access to such a comprehensive resource and horn-u-copia.

IP Logged

Robert Meyer
Sitting In

Trumpets, trombones and
tubas . . . oh my!

Reply #20 - May 21st, 2012 at 7:14am
Print Post  
Yes, I'm new today.  I play a Besson euph most every day but came across this place looking for information about it and other horns I've collected. A Conn cornet shown to be made in 1879, a Reynolds Contempora trumpet  and baritone, an old Boosey euph (lamp quality), a Besson E flat alto horn and a Huttle trumpet plus some odds and ends.  I find that I need to find values as it's time to get rid of some stuff.

IP Logged

kenton
YaBB Administrator

Reply #21 - May 21st, 2012 at 11:36am
Print Post  
We tend to avoid the issue of value of instruments on here.  Especially as the prices ebb and flow.  But, probably the best way to tell is to simply watch for similar instruments on eBay.

IP Logged

kevin67
Senior Contributor
repair

Reply #22 - May 21st, 2012 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
Robert Meyer wrote on May 21st, 2012 at 7:14am:
...an old Boosey euph (lamp quality),.

I've never seen a Boosey Euphonium that was "lamp quality". Unless it was missing valves. Watch eBay and you may be surprised at what sells.

These talking machines are going to ruin the artistic development of music in this country. �&&John P. Sousa

IP Logged

Brian Moon
Sitting In

Trumpets, trombones and
tubas . . . oh my!

Reply #23 - Jun 11th, 2012 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
New member checking in kenton. I do see a lot of familiar names.

John Davidson recommended this site  to me.

IP Logged

eric
Sitting In

Trumpets, trombones and
tubas . . . oh my!

Reply #24 - Jul 24th, 2012 at 11:17am
Print Post  
Hello,
During my early teens I was given my great grandfathers cornet. Its a Frank Holton "New Proportion" with a serial number of 7119 with a 1 on the second valve above the serial number. It is in its original case with three slide; 2 spare valve springs; lyre; cleaning rod and two mouthpieces. I played this horn on and off for 40 years. I wish I still had the chops to bring out the sweet mellow tone I once achieved with it. The beautiful engravings and soft gold finish are a beautiful today as when I first received it. If anyone is interested I can take photos. How much should I insure it for? Smiley

IP Logged

James
Sitting In

Trumpets, trombones and
tubas . . . oh my!

Reply #25 - Aug 25th, 2012 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
Hi!

IP Logged

Ryan
Sitting In

Trumpets, trombones and
tubas . . . oh my!

Reply #26 - Sep 24th, 2012 at 4:05am
Print Post  
Hi! I'm Ryan and found this forum looking for info on a few vintage pieces that I just acquired.  It's been about two decades since I've picked up a French Horn, but maybe I will again soon.  Regardless, I love the beauty and engineering that goes into these musical tools.

IP Logged

kenton
YaBB Administrator

Reply #27 - Sep 24th, 2012 at 12:19pm
Print Post  
Ryan wrote on Sep 24th, 2012 at 4:05am:
Hi! I'm Ryan and found this forum looking for info on a few vintage pieces that I just acquired. It's been about two decades since I've picked up a French Horn, but maybe I will again soon. Regardless, I love the beauty and engineering that goes into these musical tools.

Go for it!  Many community bands struggle to find enough French horn players.

IP Logged

AZtrumpeter
Sitting In

Trumpets, trombones and
tubas . . . oh my!

Reply #28 - Dec 1st, 2012 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
Hi....new here.....just got back into playing a little after 22 yrs.  Also got the collecting bug.....lol

IP Logged

Tom
Sitting In

Trumpets, trombones and
tubas ??

Reply #29 - Dec 3rd, 2012 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
Hi,
I have a couple older instruments to share, Beuscher cornet (~1911), FA Reynolds Alto horn (40's peck), and a late 19th cen. Zoebisch tenor/baritone. they're fun to knock around on although I do prefer my comfy modern Wick mouthpiece to the cookie cutters that came with the Beuscher!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Send TopicPrint