Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Mysterious Cornet, Flugel and trombone. (Read 3026 times)
Christine from Sydney
Sitting In

Trumpets, trombones and
tubas . . . oh my!

Mysterious Cornet, Flugel and trombone.
Feb 19th, 2011 at 12:09pm
Print Post  
It's a mystery!!
Hope anyone can help me find details on a few old brass instruments I have become the proud owner of:
Cornet (pitch unknown because I haven't played it  Smiley ) La Roche marked on it.
Trombone, very dark yellow gold , serial number 18876. smaller than regular tenor size though not an alto. Elkhart on the Bell and quite pretty with the engravings.
Flugel: Orpheus (not Orpheum). silver. serial number 113275.
It would be brilliant to have more info on these instruments from the panel of experts !
Two of these were payment from a school in lieu of unpaid fees by students..would be great if I came out ahead!
Thanks very much in advance from all the way in Australia.
Christine

IP Logged

JohnL
Major Contributor

Enchanted by brass

Re: Mysterious Cornet, Flugel and trombone.
Reply #1 - Feb 19th, 2011 at 3:52pm
Print Post  
Christine from Sydney wrote on Feb 19th, 2011 at 12:09pm:
Trombone, very dark yellow gold , serial number 18876. smaller than regular tenor size though not an alto. Elkhart on the Bell and quite pretty with the engravings.

More than one company has used "Elkhart" or some variation thereof (e.g., "The Elkhart", "Elkhart Band Instruments") over the years - Conn and Blessing come to mind. In general, they're good, solid student level horns. It's not uncommon for even student horns from that era to have some pretty nice engraving on them; many years ago I had an Elkhart trumpet that was pretty spiffy.

By smaller, do you mean "shorter" or just smaller diameters?

IP Logged

Christine from Sydney
Sitting In

Trumpets, trombones and
tubas . . . oh my!

Reply #2 - Feb 19th, 2011 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
Hi John,
Smaller diameters..yes like a child's size trombone. Would have you an idea of its age based on the serial number? Undecided
Thanks, Christine

IP Logged

kenton
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - Feb 19th, 2011 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
Christine,

It might be helpful to get some measurements from you.  The easy ones would be 1) the diameter of the bell, 2) the length of tubing from the mouthpiece receiver to the bell,

And a more difficult one would be the diameter of the inside tube(s, if they are different sizes) of the inner slide.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint