Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Cornet type? (Read 3206 times)
rompe1
Sitting In

Trumpets, trombones and
tubas . . . oh my!

Cornet type?
Jan 9th, 2011 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
Hello,
I just bought a cornet off ebay as fun project to fix up and play. However, I'm unsure what type of horn it is, and how old it is. Engraved on the bell are a few flowers and leaves, and is says in stylized letter "PG" The P is interlocking with the G. Above the PG is engraved "London" and below the PG is engraved New York. On the upper very tip of the leadpipe is written "Austria"

The valves are numbered starting with the first, 67,68,69. Since the cornet is being shipped right now, I can't examine it any closer, but I believe it says 11 on the middle valve casing.

On another forum, I learned that its probably what's called a "stencil" cornet; it was made by a manufacturer in austria, maybe couesnon  or Bohland and Fuchs for another music store. The modified s lead pipe could place it between 1880 and 1920, so I hear.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the origin, year of production, or selling place of this cornet?
I will upload photos if I can learn how, does anyone know how? I have them saved on my desktop.
Thanks  Smiley

IP Logged

kenton
YaBB Administrator

Re: Cornet type?
Reply #1 - Jan 9th, 2011 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
If you send the photos to me at Kenton@horn-u-copia.net, I'll process and post them. 

Sounds like most of the info you've already gathered it pretty accurate, except the Couesnon was in France.  But, we might know more by looking at it.

IP Logged

rompe1
Sitting In

Trumpets, trombones and
tubas . . . oh my!

Reply #2 - Jan 9th, 2011 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
Thank you, I would appreciate that. I've sent the photos, let me know if you don't get them.

IP Logged

kenton
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - Jan 10th, 2011 at 1:58am
Print Post  

London | PG |  New York

Receiver:  Austria

IP Logged

rompe1
Sitting In

Trumpets, trombones and
tubas . . . oh my!

Reply #4 - Jan 11th, 2011 at 4:03am
Print Post  
Anyone know how much this cornet could be worth? Take into account the missing 3rd finger pad, dents, rubbed off silver, and possible needed repair in leadpipe

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint