Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Unclassified Cornet help (Read 5821 times)
YUCMI
Sitting In

Trumpets, trombones and
tubas . . . oh my!

Unclassified Cornet help
Aug 2nd, 2010 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
I am an intern at the Yale University Collection of Musical Instruments and I am interested in finding information about a cornet I found in the depths of our basement. This is part of an ongoing project this summer to update our inventory. Ideally whatever information I find will eventually make its way to the public. If people have any information regarding this instrument or could point me in the right direction please let me know. I play french horn so my knowledge of cornets are modest at best. Thank you all for the help. Photos may be viewed at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/52657788@N04/sets/72157624639517770/

Unclassified Cornet
No engravings or maker's marks. All similar brass material. Relatively advanced rotor valve system - most likely 20th Century. Valves in fair shape which can still be played. Authenticity of Mouthpiece unverified.

« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2010 at 5:54pm by kenton »  

IP Logged

OLDLOU
Major Contributor

Enchanted by brass

Re: Unclassified Cornet help
Reply #1 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 1:16am
Print Post  
Closely inspect the Kranz ring,( bell rim reinforcement ). On most of these 19th century cornets the makers name is scratched or engraved on that ring.

OLDLOU>>

IP Logged

kenton
YaBB Administrator

Reply #2 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
It looks very similar to an EG Wright to me.

Probably 1860s.
« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2010 at 4:21pm by kenton »  
IP Logged

pryorphone
Global Moderator
repair

Oboes are best used for
setting fire to bassoons

Reply #3 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 3:22pm
Print Post  
YUCMI wrote on Aug 2nd, 2010 at 8:31pm:
Unclassified Cornet
No engravings or maker's marks. All similar brass material. Relatively advanced rotor valve system - most likely 20th Century. Valves in fair shape which can still be played. Authenticity of Mouthpiece unverified.

This was a very common design in the mid-late 19th century, known as SARV (side action rotary valve).  It was very popular in the US because the rotary valves and string action made it a very durable outdoors instrument, as opposed to piston valves which required lots of lubrication and wore easily, or mechanical action rotary valves, which could easily get something in the action.

Michael Keller
unPrincipaled Tuba Emeritus
The Delaware Symphony Orchestra

IP Logged

YUCMI
Sitting In

Trumpets, trombones and
tubas . . . oh my!

Reply #4 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
Thank you so much for your input!
I have examined the kranz and essentially the entire instrument and did not find any markings. The only marking at all is a single (sloppy) ring etched into the inside of the kranz. It is possible that the engraving might be underneath the top oxidized layer, but without a restorer available I would not be permitted to clean it up in that manner.
The E.G. White looks very similar though not that specific model. The action of the valves in my example runs between the valve tubing and the brackets used are not quite the same. I appreciate the input and will delve more into the E.G. White trumpets to see if I find anything of use.

IP Logged

YUCMI
Sitting In

Trumpets, trombones and
tubas . . . oh my!

Reply #5 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
I apologize for incorrectly stating E.G. White instead of E.G. Wright

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint