Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) "Common-Wealth" Euphonium (Read 7599 times)
euphiddle
Sitting In

Enchanted by brass

"Common-Wealth" Euphonium
Jun 18th, 2008 at 11:15pm
Print Post  
I have this fairly old 3 valve (vertical) bell up euphonium. It is satin silver with fairly ornate engraving on the bell. The engraving includes a scene of the Washington monument with "Common-Wealth" inscribed on it, and an ornate flower at the base.

It's in good condition and has a great tone. I play it as a 2nd horn.

I'm curious as to the manufacturer. It has some features (bracing details primarily, and the ornate flower) that make me think it might be a Conn make, vintage 1920s. Any other clues would be appreciated!

Some specs: .560" bore, 11" bell, SN86495, mop buttons, bell engraving

Regards,
Euphiddle

« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2009 at 12:54am by kenton »  

IP Logged

kenton
YaBB Administrator

Re: "Common-Wealth" Euphonium
Reply #1 - Aug 25th, 2008 at 12:49am
Print Post  
Looks to me to be a tenor horn.

IP Logged

kevin67
Senior Contributor
repair

Reply #2 - Aug 25th, 2008 at 1:35am
Print Post  
Below, is a Hagar horn, probabaly sold as a Baritone.

So, its maker is still open for discussion.

These talking machines are going to ruin the artistic development of music in this country. �&&John P. Sousa

IP Logged

kevin67
Senior Contributor
repair

Reply #3 - Aug 25th, 2008 at 1:37am
Print Post  
If it helps, in my supplies I have a receiver for an Eb Tuba that has that same profile.  Any my supplies may have come from a craftsman who worked at Martin.

These talking machines are going to ruin the artistic development of music in this country. �&&John P. Sousa

IP Logged

kevin67
Senior Contributor
repair

Reply #4 - Aug 25th, 2008 at 1:50am
Print Post  
Also very close to this Pan Am Baritone

IP Logged

euphiddle
Sitting In

Enchanted by brass

Reply #5 - Aug 25th, 2008 at 2:54am
Print Post  
Nice job composing the photos Kenton... thank you! The Hagar looks *really* close.. I'm not familiar with that make, but I'll look into it, and Martin as well. The Pan Am looks close too... the coupling for the bell section is of that style. That has been my 1st guess all along, except it doesn't have Pan American engraved on it.

I'm pretty sure it's an "American euphonium". It's got a .560" bore and a 11" bell. I play it with a Bach 6 1/2 or 5G. It's got a light and sweet tone and is fun to play. I like to play tunes from the "Ultimate Jazz Fakebook" on it.

Kevin67, you mentioned your "supplies". You don't happen to have a bit of tubing for the 2nd valve slide of a Boosey & Son Imperial do you? The bore is .580.

Best Regards to all,
Carroll

IP Logged

kenton
YaBB Administrator

Reply #6 - Aug 25th, 2008 at 6:11am
Print Post  
It is probably just my eyes, tricking me.  Example, the left side picture of the Pan AM looks to be a more narrow bell than the picture of the same horn on the right. And, I wouldn't have predicted a 11 in bell either.

IP Logged

euphiddle
Sitting In

Enchanted by brass

Reply #7 - Aug 25th, 2008 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
I also noticed that about the Pan Am bell on the right. The flair on my horn is quite narrow, but increases quickly at the end to get to 11".

The three horns on this thread are so similar that it's hard not to think they are the same manufacturer (Conn, since we know about Pan Am). Did different manufacturers get parts from the same suppliers, or did each one build from the ground up? Is it likely that there are Conn stencils that are not documented? If so, does anyone have an opinion about how the serial numbers would fit in?

I added some specs to the initial post. Happy to add more if there is interest. Height and width of the horn?

Lots of questions!

- Carroll

IP Logged

kenton
YaBB Administrator

Reply #8 - Aug 25th, 2008 at 2:46pm
Print Post  
euphiddle wrote on Aug 25th, 2008 at 1:23pm:
The three horns on this thread are so similar that it's hard not to think they are the same manufacturer (Conn, since we know about Pan Am). Did different manufacturers get parts from the same suppliers, or did each one build from the ground up?

Some did everything in-house.  Some makers would get parts from other makers or jobbers.

Quote:
Is it likely that there are Conn stencils that are not documented?

Yes, at least there are no records that we have access to.

Quote:
If so, does anyone have an opinion about how the serial numbers would fit in?

Often the stenciling company would use their own serial number system.  So, often the serial number on a stencil is meaningless.

IP Logged

euphiddle
Sitting In

Enchanted by brass

Reply #9 - Oct 15th, 2008 at 3:56am
Print Post  
Just noticed a circa 1934 Pan American on EBay. Item number: 290267342477 - there are some decent pictures. It shares many details with my Common-Wealth such as the valve caps, stays, receiver stay, receiver, bottom bow plate & wire, section couplings, etc.

I'm concluding that Conn made my Common-Wealth and, I suspect, the Hagar as well.

- Carroll

IP Logged

Kurt Walter
Major Contributor

Trumpets, trombones and
tubas . . . oh my!

Reply #10 - Nov 27th, 2013 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
I revived this because I found a trade article where Conn Boston Company was give the OK and trademark for Common-Wealth or Commonwealth in 1926. So far I have seen saxes and currently on Ebay is a Mellophone. Pan American seems to be the provider and not Cavalier.
The horn pictured here is a Pan American as it has the 1st valve thumb hook. Cavaliers do not - I have the Cavalier.
Is it still possible to get the serial number?

IP Logged

Kurt Walter
Major Contributor

Trumpets, trombones and
tubas . . . oh my!

Reply #11 - Nov 27th, 2013 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
I take it back, The serial number is posted. However, The bore doesn't seem correct. The Cavalier and the Conn equivalent (64i)(I have both) are at 0.530 bore on the 2nd valve slide.
These are playable with a trombone mouthpiece and are small bore. Conn calss them Baritones even though the tuning is after the 3rd valve. I think Conn uses bore size for determination.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint