Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Trade Name List (Read 15147 times)
kenton
YaBB Administrator

Trade Name List
Sep 1st, 2005 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
Peter had an idea for an on-line database of Tradenames,  so I was happy to build a structure for it (especially since he volunteered to manage it  Cool ).  And, it is now ready for public viewing.

http://www.horn-u-copia.net/Trademain.html

Although, there are over 1000 entries in it already.  There is much more information to capture.  So, it you have some new information, but sure to pass it along to Peter.  He has done a lot of good work here already.  I know I have been using it often since I got access to it, and I'm sure many of you will find it equally useful.

« Last Edit: Dec 11th, 2009 at 2:32pm by kenton »  
IP Logged

Peter
Major Contributor

Musical instrument researcher

Re: Trade Name List
Reply #1 - Nov 6th, 2005 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
To submit corrections, additions, etc. please be prepared to provide the following information:

1. trade name
2. who sold it
3. who made it (if known)
4. types of instruments on which the mark appeared
5. quality of instrument (student, amateur, professional - if known)
6. when the mark was used

I realize that gathering all this information can be a challenge. So, provide as much as you can.

The only instrument types that Iím not interested in are keyboard instruments. That topic has been extensively documented.

Peter

IP Logged

pryorphone
Global Moderator
repair

Oboes are best used for
setting fire to bassoons

Reply #2 - Nov 19th, 2005 at 11:16pm
Print Post  
kenton wrote on Nov 16th, 2005 at 2:53am:
it is now ready for public viewing.
http://www.horn-u-copia.net/Trademain.html

Nice DB!

How about putting the entrance up with the "Links" and "Catalog" even if it isn't just brass specific?

Michael Keller
unPrincipaled Tuba Emeritus
The Delaware Symphony Orchestra

IP Logged

kenton
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - Nov 20th, 2005 at 12:25am
Print Post  
I can do that!

In fact, I had been thinking about that. 

I can - in fact - set it up so that it WOULD go directly to the brass only table.  The only thing that concerns me about doing that is that some people might miss the good information Peter has on the main page. 

kms

IP Logged

pryorphone
Global Moderator
repair

Oboes are best used for
setting fire to bassoons

Reply #4 - Nov 20th, 2005 at 12:51am
Print Post  
I wouldn't worry about the brass only; anyone already has a handy option option to do just that if they so desire...

either way, I agree that access to the whole DB could be very handy, so if you DO go to brass only, make another 1st page, and don't remove the other options once in

Michael Keller
unPrincipaled Tuba Emeritus
The Delaware Symphony Orchestra

IP Logged

kenton
YaBB Administrator

Reply #5 - Nov 20th, 2005 at 1:26am
Print Post  
Quote:
I wouldn't worry about the brass only; anyone already has a handy option option to do just that if they so desire...

either way, I agree that access to the whole DB could be very handy, so if you DO go to brass only, make another 1st page, and don't remove the other options once in

Oh, I didn't express myself very well.  The table already has the capability of displaying Brass Only.  I would just use the link command that would engage that display.  Like this:  http://www.horn-u-copia.net/pubtrade.php?sortby=%20name%20&selby=%20brassflag%20...

How about if I would add an explanation in the heading for those that didn't first see the introductory page http://www.horn-u-copia.net/Trademain.html

???

IP Logged

Peter
Major Contributor

Reply #6 - Nov 23rd, 2005 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
Note that I have posted an email clarifying the name King and H.N. White. Thanks to Bill Southard for the information. People wishing to post information about an existing term found in the trade name database are encouraged to begin a discussion. The database does not provide space for this sort of information sharing. Corrections or additions to the database should be emailed to me. I have relied upon original documents as much as possible, or authorities whom I trust. Even so, errors and omissions are to be expected.

If, in the future, a need arises perhaps a link will be created so that people will be able to jump to the discussion board about that trade name. Though, I suspect that option won't be needed, at least for some time.

IP Logged

Peter
Major Contributor

Reply #7 - Dec 3rd, 2005 at 11:30pm
Print Post  
I have been adding trade names from an August Pollmann catalog of 1894 into the database. As I hope this database will include most instruments, I have included free reed instruments. I suspect that A. Pollmann made the instruments marked with a question mark. Perhaps someone can provide better information. The catalog also included trade names for brass instruments and plucked strings. While adding all these other instruments will expand the database, by being all inclusive (other than keyboard instruments), trade names that were used for a variety of instruments will be easier to locate. It will hopefully, also entice others to provide additional information.

Thank you to everyone who has so far provided information,

Peter

IP Logged

Peter
Major Contributor

Reply #8 - Jun 28th, 2010 at 5:08am
Print Post  
Some very mean spirited person has evidently hacked into my database of musical instrument trade names. Instead of about 1,500 names the current list is pittifully small. This required that someone manually deleted about 1,000 trade names. This data can not be easily replaced. So, the question arrises; should I recreate this database? I foolishly did not make a complete backup of all the data, and Kenton tells me that reconstructing it from his end is complex. Please chime in with suggestions on what readers would like.

Peter
Cry Angry

IP Logged

kenton
YaBB Administrator

Reply #9 - Jun 29th, 2010 at 3:31am
Print Post  
I was able to go back into the Way Back Machine and could get an early list.  So, it will be a project to strip the data out of HTML and put it back in database format, but at least it is possible. 
And, I also apologize for forgetting to make backups of this one file.

IP Logged

JohnL
Major Contributor

Enchanted by brass

Reply #10 - Jun 29th, 2010 at 3:56am
Print Post  
If the HTML of the version in the Wayback Machine is the same as the surviving part of the index here, you should be able to copy and paste into Notepad to strip the HTML, then import the resulting text file into Excel as tab delimited.

IP Logged

Peter
Major Contributor

Reply #11 - Jun 29th, 2010 at 4:20am
Print Post  
I will mention this to Kenton. Thanks.

Peter

IP Logged

kenton
YaBB Administrator

Reply #12 - Jul 2nd, 2010 at 11:15pm
Print Post  
I will convert it when I get time.  Things are kind of hectic.

IP Logged

kenton
YaBB Administrator

Reply #13 - Jul 22nd, 2010 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
Just an update, I have started the process of resurrecting the Tradenames database.  I didn't want people to think I had forgotten about it.  I'm about 1/2 way there.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint