Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Instruments To Keep An Eye Out For (Read 31894 times)
gsmonks
Senior Contributor
repair

The world's second worst
personal photo.

Re: Instruments To Keep An Eye Out For
Reply #15 - Sep 9th, 2005 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
Ici un dragon buccin depuis un site francais- Instruments a Vent Anciens:

http://www.whc.net/rjones/trombuccin.html

Fabrique par Ludwig Embach, 1810.

Toujours retirer la fiche de la prise de secteur avant de nettoyer l'instrument. Ne jamais introduire ou retirer une prise electrique avec les mains moullees.

Verifier periodiquement l'etat de la prise electrique, la depoussierer et la nettoyer.

Ne pas deposer d'articles allumes, tels que des bougies, sur l'appareil. Ceux-ci pourraient tomber et provoquer un incendie.  Roll Eyes

. . . and the meek shall inhibit the mirth . . .  GSMonks, 14:12

IP Logged

frostbrass
Sitting In

Enchanted by brass

Reply #16 - Sep 15th, 2005 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
Hi there.

The chopper head dragon bugle mentioned earlyer is in fact Rkang-gling.  The Rkang-gling is a short metal trumpet, usually copper. The Rkang-gling is used as well in Buddishist ritual in temples. It is usually played as one of a pair. Rkang-glings were originally made from the human thigh (femur) bones. Once the bone has dried out, the natural canal of the bone forms a wind tube. It was made from femur bone because Buddhists believe that once dead, your body is no more use to you and, like old clothes, can be used by anyone else. The word “rkang” means femur, while “gling” means flute.

Regards,

Frostbrass,
Iceland.

IP Logged

Peter
Major Contributor

Musical instrument researcher

Reply #17 - Nov 5th, 2005 at 6:00am
Print Post  
One excellent collection of unusual brass instruments is the Sterns Collection at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. Their website is:

http://www.music.umich.edu/research/stearns_collection/index.htm

The museum has even issued a catalog that includes a number of dragon-headed instruments.

Also, any brass instrument that has more than two bells is a rarity. I'm not talking about the unpleasantly loud signal horn that only vaguely looks like a brass instrument but is really a free reed instrument.

Regarding Antoniophones, while researching "Antique Brass Wind Instruments" I head that only 4 examples exist in the U.S. After my book was published, a fifth one appeared on Ebay, or at least an instrument that looked like it might have been an Antoniophone. It was thinner and longer than the illustration in my book. It looked suspicious, but could have been quite genuine.

Peter

IP Logged

KimC
Major Contributor
repair

Reply #18 - Nov 5th, 2005 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
Peter wrote on Nov 5th, 2005 at 6:00am:

Regarding Antoniophones, while researching "Antique Brass Wind Instruments" I head that only 4 examples exist in the U.S. After my book was published, a fifth one appeared on Ebay, or at least an instrument that looked like it might have been an Antoniophone. It was thinner and longer than the illustration in my book. It looked suspicious, but could have been quite genuine.

Peter

Some years ago I found a horn that was a wreck where the parts appeared only to be mountable in an Antoniophone like look. In my mid it is not old enough to be an Antonio, there is no engraving.

Since this one is quite suspicious, i call it an Antonio-thing. It could prove to be a Frankenhorn made long time ago by someone having seen a real Antoniophone.

IP Logged

Peter
Major Contributor

Musical instrument researcher

Reply #19 - Nov 6th, 2005 at 1:15am
Print Post  
Hmm... I've seen some curious antique brass in catalogs from French and Belgian makers. Antoniophones were evidently based upon the cornet. Your instrument appears to be based upon the French horn. Could someone have tried to invent another form of a bell-front French horn?

The Antoniophone that someone offered on eBay had a small bell more like that of a cornet. The tubing, however, did not flare out as much as in the illustration in my book.

Peter

IP Logged

gsmonks
Senior Contributor
repair

The world's second worst
personal photo.

Reply #20 - Nov 6th, 2005 at 4:44am
Print Post  
The above horn is correct as an Antoniophone in all except the bell, which does not appear to be original.

The Antoniophone was a flugle instrument with a flugle bore-profile and a deep V-cup mouthpiece. In bore-profile it was very much like the Koenig horn, which is not surprising because both instruments were made by Courtois.

Where did you hear that the Antoniophone was based upon the cornet, Peter? That sounds like a ventured opinion to me.

. . . and the meek shall inhibit the mirth . . .  GSMonks, 14:12

IP Logged

KimC
Major Contributor
repair

Reply #21 - Nov 6th, 2005 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
I must add that the bell of the instrument i showed is likely not to be original, the alloy is different from most of the rest of the horn. I replaced the valve engine, as all valves were missing, so it is definitely nor original.
I also saw the antoniophone on ebay, and it looked very different, but the basics were there. My antonio-thing looks more like the one of David Neill.
Does anyone here know what that Antoniophone on Ebay was sold for?

IP Logged

musoniusrufus
Section Leader

Sam Hughes is Alive and
Well and Living in Paris

Reply #22 - Jan 16th, 2006 at 6:28pm
Print Post  

A note on dragon headed instruments:  those I know of include:

1) The Buccin-- a dragon-headed trombone with a big loopy segment before the bell.  Sometimes Buccins had a wagging tongue built into the mouth, which was often painted red.

2) Early ophicleides/serpents forveille sometimes had a snake's head bell. 

3) Then there are the Tibetan instruments like the one posted above. 

It would be hard to predict how the bell shape would affect the tone of the instrument.  Having played a buccin and a serpent fourveille, I found the tone surprisingly good.  Or rather, I was surprised that it wasn't worse than I found it.

Clark

IP Logged

Adam Peck
Section Leader

Enchanted by brass

Reply #23 - Mar 17th, 2006 at 3:47am
Print Post  
Bass Horn in C custom made for Roger Bobo (pictured) . He has bass examples of most of the brass family.

IP Logged

kevin67
Senior Contributor
repair

Reply #24 - Mar 17th, 2006 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
Roger Bobo plays this on his "Prunes" record (33 1/3). 

I tried a CD but it got all scratched up by the stylist on my player? Shocked

These talking machines are going to ruin the artistic development of music in this country. �&&John P. Sousa

IP Logged

pryorphone
Global Moderator
repair

Oboes are best used for
setting fire to bassoons

Reply #25 - Mar 17th, 2006 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
kevin67 wrote on Mar 17th, 2006 at 9:51pm:
Roger Bobo plays this on his "Prunes" record (33 1/3).

He's just a "regular" kind of guy...  Wink

Michael Keller
unPrincipaled Tuba Emeritus
The Delaware Symphony Orchestra

IP Logged

pryorphone
Global Moderator
repair

Oboes are best used for
setting fire to bassoons

Reply #26 - Mar 18th, 2006 at 11:56pm
Print Post  
And for those of us partial to multi-belled horns...

Sax Shaped Double Belled Jazzophone Type Trumpet

Michael Keller
unPrincipaled Tuba Emeritus
The Delaware Symphony Orchestra

IP Logged

Steve Dillon
Sitting In

Enchanted by brass

Reply #27 - Apr 10th, 2006 at 10:18am
Print Post  
KimC wrote on Sep 5th, 2005 at 5:38pm:
Box valves were seen in very limited use. One known example was a slide for an invention horn, the slide having 2 box valves with corresponing loops. The bow valves were quite clumsy, and so wide that they could not be arranged side by side in a fingerable arrangement. Thus quite long (of uneven length) rods between finger button and valve stem vere necessary.
A major problem with these valves were that they vere hard to get tight, the valve stem and the valve house being box shaped. In some cases the valve stem was made of wood!
The valve loops were laid "around" the box valve, so that valve inlet and end of valve loop were to be found at one side of the valve, while valve outlet and begin of valve loop were located at the opposite side.
The two remaining valve sides had no tube connections.
The lack of acceptable performance gave this valvetype a short life, the few instruments actually built with box valves would soon have been replaced with instruments with other, better performing valvetypes (actually being awailable at that time) That makes them extreme rare. Only 3 box-valved instruments are known to be preserved. Who finds the number 4 instrument in an old lumber room has luck!

Other names used for these valves are: Schuster valves; square valves.  

I currently have in a Quimby Bros. Box valve trombone.

I can try and post pictures if it is of interest.

Sincerely,
Steve Dillon
Dillon Music
www.dillonmusic.com

IP Logged

Steve Dillon
Sitting In

Enchanted by brass

Reply #28 - Apr 10th, 2006 at 10:23am
Print Post  

Peter

I currently own one that was made for the Gilmore Band.  It's in high Eb, and was the Boosey copy of the French made one.

I also had another that was sold to Joe Utley some years ago.

Sincerely,
Steve Dillon
Dillon Music
www.dillonmusic.com

IP Logged

kenton
YaBB Administrator

Reply #29 - Apr 10th, 2006 at 1:27pm
Print Post  
Quote:

Peter

I currently own one that was made for the Gilmore Band.  It's in high Eb, and was the Boosey copy of the French made one.

I also had another that was sold to Joe Utley some years ago.

Sincerely,
Steve Dillon
Dillon Music
www.dillonmusic.com

Pictures?  Do I hear a request for pictures!  Cheesy

I once saw a list of the instrumentation that Gilmore carried.  He had a really interesting (read "odd - unusual") mix of instruments that he had in the band.  I wonder if any of his band's charts still exist.  I bet that would be interesting to replicate!

(Hi Steve, welcome aboard)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint