Trade Names of
Currently, information about historic trade names and model names used by makers and retailers up to 1950 is scattered in a bewildering number of sources and locations. This project is designed to bring together as much of that information as possible. According to the United States Patent and Trademark Office, "A trademark includes any word, name, symbol, or device, or any combination used, or intended to be used, in commerce to identify and distinguish the goods of one manufacturer or seller from goods manufactured or sold by others, and to indicate the source of the goods. In short, a trademark is a brand name." www.uspto.gov/main/faq/index.html.
Every effort has been made to remain as true as possible to the information, especially within trade catalogs. However, many catalogs provide information in a form that is unavoidably confusing. Determining trade name verse model name verses description is and will remain a question. Noble & Cooley Co.'s catalog is an example where information in this list could be any of the three possibilities mentioned. All names are in reverse order. Thus, A. Feuillard will be found under Feuillard, A. The web site Trade Names of Wind Instrument Makers (T.N.W.I.M.) relies upon information in The New Langwill Index (NLI). This website provided additional information. Farrar (Lloyd Farrar) was a major contributor to NLI. Because NLI stops at circa 1950, dates in this list that end with 1950 implies that usage continued after that date. All dates in this database are to be considered to be relatively accurate. No names that came into use after 1950 have been actively gathered for this list. When NLI, Farrar, and T.N.W.I.M. contradict, NLI is preferred, followed by Farrar. Information taken from eBay is uncertain. Information obtained from catalogs is preferred above all other sources. Additional information has been provided by private communication and is considered to be accurate.
Throughout this database, alphabetization follows that of NLI. However, in the case where confusion may exist, cross references are provided. S.M.L. is such an example. NLI places this trade name under L. For completeness, S.M.L. is also found under S preceding other citations under that letter. Trade names such as La Monte are alphabetized under La in direct contradiction of French alphabetization. No cross reference to Monte, La is provided in this database. Spaces are considered during alphabetization. Thus, La XXX is filed before LaXXX.
Another colum in this list documents manufacturers and which retail companies sold their instruments. This list is not as complete as the list of trade/model names but is provided to help bring together information that might otherwise be difficult to identify.
The following abbreviations are used here:
- a&p - amateur to professional
- A.E.B.I.C. - American Music Band Instrument Co.
- Andorff et al - Andorff, M.C.R./Deutsche Signal Instrumenten-Fabrik M.C.R. Andorff, later Pfretzschner & Martin; Max B. Martin, Markneukirchen
- B.M.I.M. - Boston Musical Instrument Manufactory
- Bueg. & Jac. - Buegeleisen & Jacobson
- CBB - Clarinet BBoard
- C.E.M.C.L. - Clifford Essex Music Co. Ltd.
- C.M.I.C. - Chicago Musical Instrument Co.
- Czech. Mus. Co. - Czechoslovakia Music Co.
- DDR - East Germany
- E.B.I.C - Elkhart Band Instrument Co.
- F.R.G.D - Fillmore Rene Guenot Douchet
- Fils D'E. T. - Fils D'Eugee Thibouville
- G.R.B.I.C. - Grand Rapids Band Instrument Co.
- H.B.I.C. - Hoosier Band Instrument Co.
- M.B.I.C. - Martin Band Instrument Co.
- N.M.S.C. - National Musical Strings Co.
- NLI - New Langwill Index
- P.M.I.C. - Progressive Musical Instrument Corp.
- R.M.I.C. - Regal Musical Instrument Co.
- T.H.B.B - Terry Holland's British Banjo (web site, June 2005)
- T.N.W.I.M. - Trade Names of Wind Instrument Makers (web site, June, 2005)
- wb - woodwinds and brasswinds
- Bates, G.H.W. & Co. Illustrated Catalogue and Price List. Boston: G.H.W. Bates & Co., [c.1880].
- Beatty, Daniel F. Beatty's Beethoven Organs. Washington, NJ: Daniel F. Beatty, .
- Berteling, T. & Co. Catalogue and Price-List. New York City: T. Berteling & Co. .
- Buegeleisen & Jacobson. Musical Merchandise.Catalog No. 160. New York, NY: Buegeleisen & Jacobson, 1931.
- Clarinet BBoard.
Http://test.woodwind.org/clarinet/ BBoard/read.htmf= l&i+106654&t=106654, January 23, 2004
- Conn, C.G. Band and Orchestra Instruments. General Catalog E. Elkhart, IN: C.G. Conn, [c.1927].
- Conn, C.G. Musical Truth. Vol. XIV, N. 35. Elkhart, IN: C.G. Conn, 1924.
- Conn, C.G. [Fragments of undated catalogs].
- Cornish & Co. Supplement to Large Catalogue Containing Cornish's Celebrated Special Offers. Organs and Pianos. [N.l.]: Cornish & Co., [c.1880].
- Couesnon & Co. Catalogue Pochette.Paris: Couesnon & Co., [c.1912].
- Cundy-Bettoney. Silva-Bet and Wood-Winds The Artists' Choice. Boston: Cundy-Bettoney Co., 1932.
- Czechoslovak Music Co. Musical Merchandise. Wholesale Catalogue No. 6. New York, NY: Czechoslovak Music Co., [c.1930].
- Distin. [Fragment of undated catalog].
- Ebay [online auction site eBay.com, 6-21-2005-current]
- Les Fils D'Eugene Thibouville. Prix Courant. Manufacture Generale d'Instruments de Musique. Evreux: Les Fils D'Eugene Thibouville, 1893.
- Farrar, Lloyd. [Personal correspondence]
- Fischer, Carl. The Carl Fischer Band Instrument Catalogue: Reed and Wood Instruments, Section II. Nineteenth Edition. New York, NY: Carl Fischer, [c.1925].
- Fischer, Carl. Musical Instruments and Accessories. Music in the School. A Digest of the Catalogs of Carl Fischer, Inc. New York, NY: Carl Fischer, [c.1926].
- Fischer, Carl. [Fragment of undated catalog].
- Foote, J. Howard. Catalogue of Musical Instruments, Strings, Etc. New York, NY: J. Howard Foote, 1893.
- Haynes, John C. 1889 Catalogue. Boston, MA: John C. Haynes, 1889.
- Holcomb, J.R. & Co. Catalogue of Musical instruments. Cleveland, OH: J.R. Holcomb, 1901.
- Holcomb, J.R. & Co. J.R. Holcomb & Co.'s Catalogue of Musical Innstruments. Cleveland, OH: J. R. Holcomb & Co., [1884.]
- Horner, M. The Art of Playing Hohner Chromatic Harmonicas. New York, NY: M. Hohner, 1958.
- Horvath, Julius D. Horvath's Philamona Violins. The Marvel of the Age. The Actual Reproduction of the Art of Antonius Stradivarius. New York, NY: Julius D. Horvath, n.d.].
- Jenkins, J.W. Son & Co. [Ephemera.] Kansas City, MO: J.W. Jenkins Son & Co. [c.1922].
- Klemm, G.& A. Musikinstrumente und Saiten. Markneukircken, [c.1900].
- Lyon & Healy. Catalogue. Chicago, IL: Lyon & Healy, [c.1896].
- Market, John & Co. Rare Old Violins, Violas and 'Cellos. New York, NY: John Market & Co., [n.d.].
- Martin Brothers. Band Instruments and Celebrated Guitars. New York, NY: Martin Brothers, 1879.
- Meinl, W. & Co. [Catalogue. New York, NY.: W. Meinl & Co., c.1890].
- Missenharter, Charles. New Price List of Charles Missenharter's Unsurpassed American Excelsior Solo and Military Band Instruments Manufactured by Harry Coleman. Philadelphia: Charles Missenharter, [c.1880].
- Musical Courier. New York, NY: Musical Courier, 1880-.
- Nobel & Cooley Co. Toy and Military Drums, Musical Toys, Etc. New York, NY: Nobel & Cooley Co. .
- Penzel, Mueller & Co. Woodwind Instruments. New York, NY: Penzel, Mueller & Co., 1925.
- Pepper, J.W. Musical Times and Band Journal Vol. XV., No. 171. Philadelphia, PA: J.W. Pepper, 1897.
- Pepper, J.W. Musical Times and Band Journal Vol. XV., No. 174. Philadelphia, PA: J.W. Pepper, 1898.
- Raganto, Emanuelle. "Saxophone Manufacture In Italy: a Short Survey," Galpin Society Journal 58 (May 2005): 58-65.
- Shaeffer, Arling. Schaeffer's Catalogue of Egyptian Lutes, Gut Strung Mandolins, Mello-tone Banjos and Mandolin Banjos for Artist's us and Sundries for same. Chicago: Arling Shaeffer, 1912.
- Slater, M. Illustrated Catalogue and Net Price List of Musical Instruments and Trimmings for Bands and Orchestras. New York, NY: M. Slater, 1915.
- Slater, M. Illustrated Catalogue of Brass and German Silver Musical Instruments Manufactured and for Sale by M. Slater. New York, NY: M. Slater, 1874.
- Stratton, John F. & Son. [Catalogue.] New York, NY: John F. Stratton, [c.1880].
- Tsumara, A. Banjos ....
- Voigt, Ernst Reinh. Musik-Instrument og Strenge-Fabrik. Markneukirchen: Ernst Reinh. Voigt, [c.1890].
- Waterhouse, William. New Langwill Index. London: Tony Bingham, 1993.
- Weller, Enrico. Der Blasinstrumentenbau im Vogtland von den Anfangen bis zum Beginn des 20. Jahrhunderts: Untersuchungen undDockumentationen zur Geschichte eines Gewerbezweiges der Musikinstrumentenindustrie. Horb am Neckar: Geiger-Verlag, 2004.
- Wurltizer. [Fragment of undated catalog].
- Zimmermann, Aug. Export Catalolgue of First Class Band Instruments. Catalogo ilustrado de Exportacion de Instrumentos de Musica para banda y charanga de calidad superior. Leipzig: August Zimmermann, 1925.
- Zoebisch, C.A. & Sons. Brass and German Silver Band Instruments. New York, NY: C.A Zoebisch & Sons, 1878.